Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never heard of these until I got home and read about it. I stopped at a light and this matrix pulls up next to me and then the light went green and I took off normal not wanting to waste my gas on a matrix. He took off quick and I noticed he was shifting hard so it was a manual, that's when I saw the XRS. Well this bothered me that the guy thought he was fast in a Matrix, came to the next light and noticed that my lane was going to end, so I know he was going to go and I was going to get in front of him. Well light goes green and then we both floor it and he is at my door through first. I was stunned that he was still there, I thought maybe I wasn't getting the pedal all the way to the floor. I shifted to second and then got enough on him to get over and then stopped because I accomplished my goal. I was still dumbfounded that a matrix could keep up with me. Found out they are six speed, 180hp, but don't hit most of there power until after 6,000rpms. Still thats crazy a Matrix has 180 hp, I can't get over it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
same motor as the Celica GTS with the same 6spd tranny mated to it as he Celica GTS. It has 4WD too.

I'll let you take a gander on which platform it was built!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I drive a 175 hp Altima now. With 180 lb ft of torque @ 1500 rpm :E

God I love torque, i forgot the feel of it driving my 2.0 ATX MX6.
How big are the Matrix engines in terms of displacement, are they 1.8 liters?

I'll let you take a gander on which platform it was built!!!
What is an Suzuki Aero for 100?

-Bart

·
Registered
532 Posts
BartMX said:
I drive a 175 hp Altima now. With 180 lb ft of torque @ 1500 rpm :E

God I love torque, i forgot the feel of it driving my 2.0 ATX MX6.
How big are the Matrix engines in terms of displacement, are they 1.8 liters?
-Bart

If indeed it is the celica GT-S engine, then yes, 1.8 liters

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wonder if this toyota engine has changed since the fifth and sixth gen Celicas. Those had 2.2s in the GT-Ss and a turbo charged 2.0 in the GT-4s. Sucks that they dropped the darn displacement down. Ah well... DOn't know which is uglier.... The Toyota Matrix or the Pontiac Vibe... :D Ah well... Could be worse... Could be a Toyota Echo... Or a Pontiac Aztec

·
Registered
260 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
same motor as the Celica GTS with the same 6spd tranny mated to it as he Celica GTS. It has 4WD too
The XRS doesn't have 4wd, it's only available in fwd with the 1.8L VVTL-I engine and 6 speed. The regular Matrix has the optional 1.8L 120hp 4wd set up while the it comes standard with the 130hp engine and fwd

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Is the XRS supercharged? I remember reading toyota had a TRD supercharger dealer installed option for the Maxtrix or is this totally different?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You can order a S/C with it, but it's not standard. Speaking of that, I did a search on the net and the fella you apparently raced says different about what happened and says you were no competition..... I believe he's in Matrix.com so I'd bag up your story

G

·
Caffeine said:
Is the XRS supercharged? I remember reading toyota had a TRD supercharger dealer installed option for the Maxtrix or is this totally different?
The TRD supercharger is only for the Matrix models with the 1ZZ-FE engines. Meaning the base and XR models.

Edit: Forgot to mention that some Matrix XRS models came automatic. Those are the real easy kills.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts