Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these MaxSpeed lowering springs on Ebay (sorry no link) and was wondering if anybody knows what type of ride they give you. I want to add some new springs/struts soon and don't want to go too low or sacrifice ride too much since it is my daily driver. These springs have a progressive rate and claim a 1.3" drop F/R. I'm probably going with the KYB struts since it is a daily driver and not the tokico. Would anyone reccomend a different setup? Please remember I don't want to go lower than 1.0-1.5", and still maintain some sort of ride.

Jesse

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Eibach's are the only way to go. I don't and wouldn't trust any other brand to provide the same 1-1.5" drop and have as good a performance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
parisifal,
What suspension set up do you have and are you happy with it?
Also would you recommend a camber kit with the Eibach lowering springs? I got mixed answers using the search on needing the camber kit with a 1.5" drop.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You won't need any camber kit with the Eibach. The drop is nowhere near enough to require camber bolts. If you can actually feel any difference from camber bolts with the Eibach you are one amazingly attuned driver. The fact of the matter is Eibachs only drop the car an inch for the first 6 or so months, than the gradually settle down to about 1.2" after that time. I have not noticed any detrimental tire wear from having owned 2 Mx6 with Eibachs so camber bolts are not needed IMO.

I am running crappy Monroe replacement struts which by the way have already blown. I suggest you get a set of Illuminas. $400 or so might sound expensive, but considering a cheapo set of struts are over $200 and replacing a few sets of those a years can get mighty expensive. I have spent about $4,000 in springs, coilovers and struts for the various cars I've owned over the last 2 years and let me tell you, IT IS ALOT CHEAPER to do things right the first time. The one time you cut a corner it will bite you in the ass and cost you alot more money later on. I took that route just a few months ago (again as though I've haven't learned my lesson from my rx7's) by trying to get some cheap Dropzones and These Monroe struts. Well the coilovers didn't fit, was sent with wrong springs for a damn Nissan maxima and now they jibbed me completely and the struts are blowned. I had to buy Eibach's and now new struts which will at least be Blues or the Whites (illuminas) and get them put on.

I suggest you shell out the $600 or so and buy the good stuff the first time. Used Eibach springs can be had for $100 (I got mine for like $60) from fellow members (reputable of course) and struts can be bought cheaper from some of the bulk buys. You can effectively put the whole thing together for a little over $400 which is only a few dimes over the cheapo springs and struts.

Take your time and spend some money now. If you rush things and try to be cheap, I can guarantee it will cost you at least 2x as much as having to do it right the first time.

SO DO IT RIGHT!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I know the MaxSpeed springs were not that expensive, that is why I asked. I'm looking at the Tokico blues or maybe the KYB's, but I've heard else where that the Tokico's were better quality too, just a little stiffer ride.

Thanks again,
Jesse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts