Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hmm RE the handbrake cable not being long enough that isnt what I was told (albeit not on a mx6, v6 323 astina, but they are about the same size). That person could be wrong, shouldnt be too hard to make it up though, im not up for sacrficing my handbrake.

The 323 is a different chassis. Similar to the GE/GF and BJ but almost nothing swaps between them. Not a lot is done with rear brakes specificaly and I dont own one but I believe all the B chassis cars pre BJ use different bolt spacing.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Do you guys think that there's any way a CX-7 2 piston caliper would fit the 06-07 Mazda6 11.8" rotor?

I know that it fits the 12.6" mazdaspeed rotor but I don't have large enough wheels to fit over that size brake system.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Do you guys think that there's any way a CX-7 2 piston caliper would fit the 06-07 Mazda6 11.8" rotor?

I know that it fits the 12.6" mazdaspeed rotor but I don't have large enough wheels to fit over that size brake system.
CX-7 calipers will (assuming they fit at all) fit 11.8' rotors. It's the CX-9 calipers that fit 12.6" rotors. The CX-9 and MS6 rotors are likely the same part number.

And it's very likely that the only difference between the CX-7 and CX-9 calipers is the slider brackets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The 323 is a different chassis. Similar to the GE/GF and BJ but almost nothing swaps between them. Not a lot is done with rear brakes specificaly and I dont own one but I believe all the B chassis cars pre BJ use different bolt spacing.
Hence why I sold the Mazda6 rear calipers I had to Turk!

I ended up on my CBA platform car using a rear caliper bracket from a Miata Sport Suspension (276mm rear) with the CBA caliper and a Maza6 280mm rear rotor. A little machining to get the clearances all OK (some to bracket mounting bosses and some tidying of the rotor diameter)

My car is a Hybrid though, it's a Ford Laser which is a 323C (Neo) under the skin which is the same as a CBA platform and it's got v6 Astina front knuckles and hubs (5-stud), Astina v6 rear hubs (5-stud) with the original knuckles. Runs ABS too.

The 2nd Gen MX6 stuff bolts to the front (but it's already 276mm fronts thanks to the v6 Astina brakes) so at the Front this Mazda6 swap works. At the rear it doesn't. But the Mazda6 rears are the same as the Mazdaspeed Protege 280x10mm and that does bolt to the MX6.

I've now got a twin piston hybrid front system in development using a combo of (in US speak) Pontiac G8, Mustang Cobra and Mitsubishi Galant parts to deliver a 294mm or 330mm front option with twin pistons. The whole lot is pushed about by a HD 929 master cylinder.

While the Mazda6 Front setup is nice it's no huge upgrade unless you get the rears as well, the Mazdaspeed6 320mm setup is far more advantageous.

Given the cost of going Mazdaspeed6 here in Australia I think I'll stck to my hybrid setup!

A.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Hence why I sold the Mazda6 rear calipers I had to Turk!
How did you know it was me? :)

I've now got a twin piston hybrid front system in development using a combo of (in US speak) Pontiac G8, Mustang Cobra and Mitsubishi Galant parts to deliver a 294mm or 330mm front option with twin pistons. The whole lot is pushed about by a HD 929 master cylinder.
Waiting anxiously. For everyone else his design on this seems to be much better and safer and engineer freindly then the other front brake upgrade.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Waiting anxiously. For everyone else his design on this seems to be much better and safer and engineer freindly then the other front brake upgrade.
It's a slow process, I have spent $$$ on buying up rotors and calipers to test stuff and have refined so much stuff so that I'm now finally getting close to the "crunch" point of locking in the caliper choice.

The good news is that the adapter brackets look like they can be made to allow either a 294 or 330mm setup with the same bracket just by changing the rotor (ie double mount points in two positions to allow different relocation positions to suit the 36mm change in diameter). This means 16" wheel owners can run the smaller version and then upgrade to the big version for the price of the rotors when they have wheels big enough. This was mainly factored in because my project car runs Protege 16" wheels and I'm too scrooged to buy new wheels just to test brake setups. It is being tested with 18" MazdaSpeed MS02s as well.

Benefits include:
The PBR (Pontiac G8) caliper is basically one of the best 2-piston designs in the business. It's a very new design (2005) and as it was developed here in Australia I have access to more tech info than a mazda caliper where I have to derive stuff off the factory fitment. I have all dimensions and mount locating info for these calipers letting me CAD up the brackets to OEM level of fit not just eyeballing it.

Pad choices - here in Australia these calipers are very common and there's a huge range of pads available that will suit Mazda applications very well, they're also very cost effective with top quality high/performance street/trackday pads costing well under AUD100.

Compatibility with rotors - These things will grab rotors from 28 to 32mm and up to 350mm in diameter before exceeding their design tolerances. So while initially I'm working on these two particular rotors at the moment there's always potential for dealing with other choices.

Turk will be getting a set of brackets once I'm satisfied that they meet my standards (able to made legal in Australia - ie Safe to OEM levels) to test on the MX6.

Costs - Calipers (currently AUD150-200 per pair for new with a OEM pad set compared to AUD150 for a single used Mazda6 caliper). Rotors from AUD200 per pair depending on brand size and slotting etc (MazdaSpeed6 rotors are about AUD400-500/pair here), Brackets about AUD250 per pair. So I'm facoting about 50% of the cost of a MazdaSpeed6 solution.

More info as it comes to light.

A.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
so will this fit the stock 15? the mazda6 upgrade? cause i'm needing calipers ect. and i was just going to do the upgrade now.
Nobody has tried it yet. :shrug: I was told that they will PROBABLY fit. This was for the 11.8" rotors and it was coming from someone who already had 11" rotors installed. He said the 11" rotors have plenty of clearance, so the 11.8" will probably fit too.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would a RX-8 brake rotor with caliper work with 18 inch rims on an mx6????

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
The 6 community is attempting to find out whether or not the CX-7 brakes are compatible or not. I am personally going to look at a set of CX-7 brakes this weekend, so we may be 1 step closer to finding that out.

The Mazda6 uses a 15" spare. Assuming it has similar interior dimensions as a full sized rim, it should fit the MX-6 15"s, but no guarantees.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have stock LS 15" wheels on the front with the 11.1" brakes and theres plenty of room. Still no guaranties but I wouldn't hesitate if the 11.8" brakes came up cheap.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Given the cost of going Mazdaspeed6 here in Australia I think I'll stck to my hybrid setup!

A.
If it's any cheaper look at the mazda 5 minivan brakes. Identical to the MS6 brakes.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I just saw a mazda 3 sedan stock looking with speed 3/6 brakes. I wonder if the are optional on mon MS cars?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts