Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I installed my newly aquired "Big Brake Kit" (quotes because its not really a kit). Just brakes from another car.

Now I will put this here in big bold letters to avoid anyone missing it and asking again.
THERE IS NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED, TAKE YOUR OLD CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND PUT IN THE NEW CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND DRIVE AWAY, COMPLETE BOLT ON.

The calipers come from a 2006-2007 regular Mazda 6. You can use any other Mazda 6 caliper/pad/rotor, as long as you maintain the same year/model.

Here are some spec for different year models.

Disc diameter:
03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.2" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum
Suffice it to say, big brake kits for the Mazda 6 will also fit. Now before you go out and buy Mazda 6 calipers remember that you need the caliper, and the caliper must include mounting braket, they sell the caliper without the braket, so pay attention when you go buy it.

In my install I purchased rebuilt(posibly even new) calipers from a 2006-2007 Mazda 6. Part numbers are as follow:
Front Left: 18-B5000 - $107.79
Front Right: 18-B5001 - $107.79
Brake Pads: Akebono ACT1164 - $61.79
Rotors: Raybestos 680404 - $41.99 X 2
Grand total was $392.26 (including shipping & 5% coupon).

Now the calipers can be found in these other vehicles:

2006-2008 Ford Fusion
2007-2008 Lincoln MKZ
2006-2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006-2008 Mercury Milan

I haven't tried it, but the rear calipers/pads/rotors should also work, but the e-brake will not work since the cable doesn't reach the caliper.

Now on to the pictures:

Old ebay rotors and stock caliper.

Stock rotor vs. Mazda 6 rotor.

Stock rotor on top of Mazda 6 rotor.(Rotor anal sex)

New brakes installed.

Wheel installed.

New front brakes.

Old rear brakes(for comparison).

Credit:
PGT97_Racer for his topic Bolt-on Big brake kit - ProbeTalk.com Forums
and MetalPGT for looking up the differences in years.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I nominate this as post of the year.

:tup: :tup:

Any one who has gone with larger than stock wheels must've noticed how puny the stock brakes look.

Now of course the question is "Do I need more breaking power?" For me, hell no, I haven't done any HP modifications, but geez! they sure look awesome!

Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Excellent, def karma to u :tup:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
umm.. STICKY!!!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Amazing! (GEEEZZZ you picked it up cheap! some places in aus it costs that for one caliper!)

Karma! Karma!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
very cool...if I ever need to replace the front brakes again, this will be done.

however...comparing the actual pad surface on those rotors, it actually doesn't look like that much of a gain, if at all, over the stock pad -> rotor ratio. could just be the pictures though.

regardless, good job!

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
Hey Joe, do you know if you can fit the stock 15s over them? Come up to Andy's this weekend and we can test my 15s if you want. I want bigger brakes but I also want to be able to run the stock rims if the need arises.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Joe, do you know if you can fit the stock 15s over them? Come up to Andy's this weekend and we can test my 15s if you want. I want bigger brakes but I also want to be able to run the stock rims if the need arises.
I was wondering the same thing yesterday, since stock mx6 rims are 15" and Probe rimes are 16". It is possible, just need to test it out on a stock rim.

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
I was wondering the same thing yesterday, since stock mx6 rims are 15" and Probe rimes are 16". It is possible, just need to test it out on a stock rim.
Well I'm putting my 15s on for the drive over there, so if you bring your car up when we're doing my transmission we can test them on your car.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Its been done for a while on probetalk.... :)

·
Josh Bannings = 1
3,178 Posts
The spare tire is a 15" and it still fits over the front brakes (so I've been told). Just give me one of your rims Matt, and we'll see if it fits on my car.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
funzie - would you mind adding a few more pics (specifically of the carrier(s), caliper, bracket, and etc (basically a pictorial hot-to) and posting it in 2g? This is a very important upgrade and I'd like to stick it for a while, and add it to the Projects section, if thats cool with you.

Karma, by the way.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
The spare tire is a 15" and it still fits over the front brakes (so I've been told). Just give me one of your rims Matt, and we'll see if it fits on my car.
Judging by the information in Joe's original post, your rotors are .7" smaller, I wanna see if they'll fit over the larger 06-07 brakes.

So what do you do about the rears? Is that the next project?
For the rear, my plan is the 98+ 626 V6 brakes: http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-other-performance/199241-brake-upgrade-how.html

1 - 20 of 78 Posts