Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Mazda 6 Brakes on MX-6

26K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  pigeon853 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I installed my newly aquired "Big Brake Kit" (quotes because its not really a kit). Just brakes from another car.

Now I will put this here in big bold letters to avoid anyone missing it and asking again.
THERE IS NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED, TAKE YOUR OLD CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND PUT IN THE NEW CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND DRIVE AWAY, COMPLETE BOLT ON.

The calipers come from a 2006-2007 regular Mazda 6. You can use any other Mazda 6 caliper/pad/rotor, as long as you maintain the same year/model.

Here are some spec for different year models.

Disc diameter:
03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.2" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum
Suffice it to say, big brake kits for the Mazda 6 will also fit. Now before you go out and buy Mazda 6 calipers remember that you need the caliper, and the caliper must include mounting braket, they sell the caliper without the braket, so pay attention when you go buy it.

In my install I purchased rebuilt(posibly even new) calipers from a 2006-2007 Mazda 6. Part numbers are as follow:
Front Left: 18-B5000 - $107.79
Front Right: 18-B5001 - $107.79
Brake Pads: Akebono ACT1164 - $61.79
Rotors: Raybestos 680404 - $41.99 X 2
Grand total was $392.26 (including shipping & 5% coupon).

Now the calipers can be found in these other vehicles:

2006-2008 Ford Fusion
2007-2008 Lincoln MKZ
2006-2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006-2008 Mercury Milan

I haven't tried it, but the rear calipers/pads/rotors should also work, but the e-brake will not work since the cable doesn't reach the caliper.

Now on to the pictures:

Old ebay rotors and stock caliper.

Stock rotor vs. Mazda 6 rotor.

Stock rotor on top of Mazda 6 rotor.(Rotor anal sex)

New brakes installed.

Wheel installed.

New front brakes.

Old rear brakes(for comparison).

Credit:
PGT97_Racer for his topic Bolt-on Big brake kit - ProbeTalk.com Forums
and MetalPGT for looking up the differences in years.

See less See more
#40 ·
Ok guys. I read all 13 pages of this thread and did a bunch of research and for the front brakes, it seems that the Mazda6 calipers and the mazdaspeed6 calipers are the same. Just the brackets and rotors are bigger. Obviously, Mazda6 calipers are easier to find and cheaper. But, where do I get a set of those brackets???

#44 ·
it seems that the Mazda6 calipers and the mazdaspeed6 calipers are the same.
NOT correct at all. Believe me. I own and run versions of both.

The speed's front caliper bracket is a TOTALLY different design then the version used on the n/a Mazda 6's. You couldnt even attempt it. It just wouldnt happen.

Now the 03-05 calipers, and the 06+ one's might be the same, and the brackets might be the only difference. Thats more then believable. But the front Speed ones are an entirely different design all together then any of the N/A ones.

#43 ·
i found them for $39 at a local shop. are you sure those are the mazdaspeed6 brackets on rock auto? because thats what allows you to do the 12.6" instead of the 11.8" i couldnt find mazdaspeed6 brackets on rockauto. if you have a link ill love you long time!

#45 ·
well idk much about the difference but i bought my calipers frm ebay <=D $48 each now i really didnt pay to much attention to what i as buying till i paid (idiot i knw) but i was jut exited to get them and sla them on the car along with drilled and slotted rotors (also frm ebay) anyways well one caliper says right mazda6 and the other left speed6. but whn i got them they r exacly the same bracket and all (oh yeah brackets included with calipers) and im guessing....i got 2 MS6 calipers cause unfortunately....i have 16s and fund out that way. bolts right up though! so im on the mission for 17s!!! pictures coming as soon as i get new rims. unless u guys wann see my combo

#54 ·
Thats so legit, I want them so bad but im gonna have 16" fd wheels so I cant fit em
A few people have fit the Speed6 brakes on FD wheels now. You just have to grind the calipers a little on the top otherwise they rub. But id just take the lazy route of just using the 06+ n/a Mazda6 brakes that clear just fine without any work.

#55 ·
Hey monoxide have you done the 98+ 626 e brake cable switch yet? I wanna know if it works before I grab one
Im already running the 98+ 626 full rear brake upgrade. Which is the same size as the Mazda6 rears. So im not really wanting to spend the money to buy Mazda6 rear calipers, then buy the 98+ 626 cable to see if they work. All in the end to have the exact same size brakes i already had. lol.

Basically just buy the 98+ 626 rear calipers and brakes. They bolt right on, and your stock Ebrake cable works perfect on that set up. ;)

#61 ·
am i the only one who thinks the standard mazda 6 calipers look a ton better than the ms6 calipers? that wire clip thing is hideous

#70 ·
Will the MS6 rear calipers fit? Will the handbrake work with the 98+ 626 cable?

I'm getting a set of MS6 front calipers for $70 with rotors. Wondering if I should pony up and get the rears as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.