Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Mazda 6 Brakes on MX-6

26K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  pigeon853 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I installed my newly aquired "Big Brake Kit" (quotes because its not really a kit). Just brakes from another car.

Now I will put this here in big bold letters to avoid anyone missing it and asking again.
THERE IS NO MODIFICATION REQUIRED, TAKE YOUR OLD CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND PUT IN THE NEW CALIPERS/PADS/ROTORS AND DRIVE AWAY, COMPLETE BOLT ON.

The calipers come from a 2006-2007 regular Mazda 6. You can use any other Mazda 6 caliper/pad/rotor, as long as you maintain the same year/model.

Here are some spec for different year models.

Disc diameter:
03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.2" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum
Suffice it to say, big brake kits for the Mazda 6 will also fit. Now before you go out and buy Mazda 6 calipers remember that you need the caliper, and the caliper must include mounting braket, they sell the caliper without the braket, so pay attention when you go buy it.

In my install I purchased rebuilt(posibly even new) calipers from a 2006-2007 Mazda 6. Part numbers are as follow:
Front Left: 18-B5000 - $107.79
Front Right: 18-B5001 - $107.79
Brake Pads: Akebono ACT1164 - $61.79
Rotors: Raybestos 680404 - $41.99 X 2
Grand total was $392.26 (including shipping & 5% coupon).

Now the calipers can be found in these other vehicles:

2006-2008 Ford Fusion
2007-2008 Lincoln MKZ
2006-2006 Lincoln Zephyr
2006-2008 Mercury Milan

I haven't tried it, but the rear calipers/pads/rotors should also work, but the e-brake will not work since the cable doesn't reach the caliper.

Now on to the pictures:

Old ebay rotors and stock caliper.

Stock rotor vs. Mazda 6 rotor.

Stock rotor on top of Mazda 6 rotor.(Rotor anal sex)

New brakes installed.

Wheel installed.

New front brakes.

Old rear brakes(for comparison).

Credit:
PGT97_Racer for his topic Bolt-on Big brake kit - ProbeTalk.com Forums
and MetalPGT for looking up the differences in years.

See less See more
#75 ·
I just bought a set of Mazdaspeed6 calipers and rotors for cheap. Not sure if I should put them on my car... or sell them, make some money, and buy mazda6 calipers and brakes so I could eventually put on a set of 16x8 rims for when I go to the track. Opinions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#78 ·
OEM mazda mx6 brakes - (for sale)

MazdaSpeed6 vs MX6 comparison:

MazdaSpeed6 Brakes -

Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines

dat clearance

17" wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.