Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Mazda 6 - Rust issues

11K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  992mmx3-t 
#1 ·
I know this is probably in the wrong forum- but i wanted everyone to pass this info on to their Mazda 6 owner friends-

be on the look out for this!

http://www.4doorzoom.1hwy.com/m6_rust.html

:mad: BOOOOO- Flatrock!!!

#2 ·
Holy sh!t! does not bode well for the paint.... if a little soap and water does that to the car.... *sigh*....

I was hoping the 6 would have decent paint. I got a 93 626 and it has absolutely ****tiest paint I've seen in a car. I was thinking of upgrading to the 6, but not if its paint is sh!t as well....

#3 ·
From the talk over at mazda6club it has been detemined that the rust issue only involves the 2003 6's made up to 7/03 in North America. Mine was made after and I don't have any problems with the paint. The rust issue isn't even from the paint (mine's beautiful ;) )but the weld spots that weren't completely rinsed off during prep. If you're still concerned about it visit mazda6club and look around, a lot of talk about this. Mazda Corp is aware if the problem and is working on a solution. But if you haven't gotten a 6 yet you don't have anything to worry about except going over the speed limit :D .

#4 ·
namtrami said:
From the talk over at mazda6club it has been detemined that the rust issue only involves the 2003 6's made up to 7/03 in North America. Mine was made after and I don't have any problems with the paint. The rust issue isn't even from the paint (mine's beautiful ;) )but the weld spots that weren't completely rinsed off during prep. If you're still concerned about it visit mazda6club and look around, a lot of talk about this. Mazda Corp is aware if the problem and is working on a solution. But if you haven't gotten a 6 yet you don't have anything to worry about except going over the speed limit :D .
riiiiiiiight..... I just went over to the mazda6club, and let me tell you, these people are NOT happy. And I don't blame them, as of yet, nothing has been done to remedy the situation. To have so much rust on new cars is plain ridiculous, and right now I won't touch a 6 with a 10 foot pole....

and yes, the rust issue is with the paint as well. You see, where the welds are, there isn't exactly much paint.... The seam have not been painted/sealed in any reasonable way.

#5 ·
Yeah people aren't happy but Mazda is aware of the situation and are trying to find a solution, we'll wait and see what happens. But the rust issue doe not involve 6's built after July 2003.

You were saying you were concerned by the ****ty paint. The paint itself is not defected like on your 626. The rust issue is unrealated to the quality of the paint but does affect the paint for those who have rust. So if you are looking to buy a 6, built after 7/2003, you will have no rust problems and beautiful paint, like mine ;) .

#6 ·
namtrami said:

You were saying you were concerned by the ****ty paint. The paint itself is not defected like on your 626. The rust issue is unrealated to the quality of the paint but does affect the paint for those who have rust. So if you are looking to buy a 6, built after 7/2003, you will have no rust problems and beautiful paint, like mine ;) .
well, I sure hope your right. The thing is, nobody knows yet. It's too early. You will find out in a couple of years. Mine developed thousands of little "cracks" all over, it's super thin, chips at a tip of a hat, is rusting, and the clear coat is peeling... and......basically looks like crap. But of course it too looked great when new.

On the other hand my brother's oldsmobile (pos) that is 2 years older, looks like new as far as paint is concerned.

I do remember one posting SOMEWHERE... not sure where (maybe it was part of a review somewhere) that mentioned that the mazda 6's paint is easily scratched though....

G
#7 ·
El Pepe said:
well, I sure hope your right. The thing is, nobody knows yet. It's too early. You will find out in a couple of years. Mine developed thousands of little "cracks" all over, it's super thin, chips at a tip of a hat, is rusting, and the clear coat is peeling... and......basically looks like crap. But of course it too looked great when new.

On the other hand my brother's oldsmobile (pos) that is 2 years older, looks like new as far as paint is concerned.

I do remember one posting SOMEWHERE... not sure where (maybe it was part of a review somewhere) that mentioned that the mazda 6's paint is easily scratched though....
Most paint will scratch easily.

Older clear coat sucks, period. If you weren't the first owner, I might put the blame there, that is, if you properly care for your paint, or you don't live in a place that uses salt on the roads or near an ocean. Or live in a very sunny or very cold weather area. Car paint doesn't last forever, especially older OEM type paints with 1 thin clear coat on them.

#8 · (Edited)
992mmx3-t said:
Most paint will scratch easily.

Older clear coat sucks, period. If you weren't the first owner, I might put the blame there, that is, if you properly care for your paint, or you don't live in a place that uses salt on the roads or near an ocean. Or live in a very sunny or very cold weather area. Car paint doesn't last forever, especially older OEM type paints with 1 thin clear coat on them.

well, you should have stopped at "Older clear coat sucks, period." instead of trying to blame me for it. Otherwise what was the "period" all about?...

It's not only that it sucks, it sucks bad. And that's the general consensus for the 626's if you search around. I'd have to assume MX-6's as well....

G
#9 ·
El Pepe said:
well, you should have stopped at "Older clear coat sucks, period." instead of trying to blame me for it. Otherwise what was the "period" all about?...

It's not only that it sucks, it sucks bad. And that's the general consensus for the 626's if you search around. I'd have to assume MX-6's as well....
The period is saying that older clear coat sucks.:shrug: Especially when applied as thin as Mazda does it, or even none at all on some of there exterior pieces. You can make it last long with wax...etc. So do you live in an area that uses salt on the roads? Lot's of salt in the air??

G
#11 ·
El Pepe said:
nope. I live in the prairies. The air is super dry, and obviously non-salty :)

also, salt is not used on the streets in our city in the winter....only gravel/sand...
Ah, then like me, you need a repaint (though I already re-painted mine). If you do, I'd suggest multiple layers of clear coat, that way if there is a small scratch it's easily buffed out. Try and use either House of Color, or PPG products, they do a great job in protecting paint from fading, scratches, etc.

BTW, I didn't intend to come off as blaming you in my 1st post, so I apologize if I came off that way.

#12 ·
992mmx3-t said:
Ah, then like me, you need a repaint (though I already re-painted mine). If you do, I'd suggest multiple layers of clear coat, that way if there is a small scratch it's easily buffed out. Try and use either House of Color, or PPG products, they do a great job in protecting paint from fading, scratches, etc.

BTW, I didn't intend to come off as blaming you in my 1st post, so I apologize if I came off that way.
no problem....

btw did you paint the car YOURSELF? cause that is something I was thinking about but decided it'd be too risky/difficult/time consuming....

and when I do get it repainted I want the most environmentally unfriendly, stinkiest, toughest, most poisonous paint I can get... I'm done with that water based sh!t! :E

G
#13 · (Edited)
El Pepe said:
no problem....

btw did you paint the car YOURSELF? cause that is something I was thinking about but decided it'd be too risky/difficult/time consuming....

and when I do get it repainted I want the most environmentally unfriendly, stinkiest, toughest, most poisonous paint I can get... I'm done with that water based sh!t! :E
LOL, yeah, me and my friend painted my car. Use PPG products!! They totally own, the quality is excellent. When the car was first painted it was during the winter. And up here in WA. state it rains a lot, so it was really cool just to watch the water bead up on the clear coat and fall off. All in all it cost about $400 total for all of the equipment, and it took about 1.5 months to finish her up.

It was good times though! The fumes, oh the fumes, lol. Some of the funniest stuff was said amidst a garage full of fumes. I was just lucky to have a friend who knows how to spray cars, and I know a bit about body work myself.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.