Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
With some money, yes. But as far as I know it is not a "direct swap" like a few engines, such as the ZE....

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yes. Now don't bother asking what modifications would be necessary.

EDIT: if you have the kind of pockets that can do that, might as well throw in the turboed MZR 2.3

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
put in a rotary

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
i wouldn't say it's a downgrade, but for an extra 20 hp/24lb-ft. over the ZE, seems like the hassle wouldn't be worth it

·
Registered
717 Posts
ha! sucks to be you! ;)

It would be sick though. Honestly I think I would rather have the Mazda6 V6 then the 2.3MZR in my car. I like 6 cylinders better.

But like has been said. I don't think it would be worth the amount of work... or would it........?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Might be better off just buying a Mazda6 V6. Or do KLZE swap. I don't even own a 2G and i can tell you KLZE is the way to go. Even building both the bottom and top end of a KLDE or KLZE with a turbo is still a better, easier, cheaper route than swapping in the Mazda6 engine.

Crap, i got off subject. "Would the V6 from a Mazda6 fit in a MX6...?" Yeah it could possibly fit... in the engine bay. Is it worth it? No.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
even the smaller older 3.0 they were using was putting those v6 mazda6's in the 14's with very few and basic mod's. and there over 600 pounds heavier. you can all lie to yourself, but in all truth, the mazda6 motor make's a hell off alot more power then the KL, or even the ZE.

but, its in no way a drop in. but id much rather go with the mazda6 v6 for modding.

·
Registered
717 Posts
^^ well said. If I had tons of money and time, I'd do it. So unless you got both of those things, I would stick with a ZE or turbo DE

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
i agree there. id go with a built KL hybrid myself just cause its a bolt in affair. and can make butt loads of power. but the ford based duratec 3.0, or even the newer 3.5 would be an insane swap. even the hybrid's you can build out of them is pretty crazy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just be all you can be in your boosted DE/ZE.

If you going for the swap(Mazda6), you should do AWD or RWD conversion while you are at it.....

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
There is a point to putting an engine with more power into a lighter vehicle. But I'd honestly say if you are going to go with a Mazda6 V6...go with a mazdaspeed 6 engine and possibly the tranny and everything you need to make it an AWD!!! Then the MX6 would fly!!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
To everyone saying "Make it AWD/RWD", that conversion is pretty damn difficult, and requires a shitload of cutting, welding, ingenuity and money. The EASIEST way to do it would involve making new motor mounts so the engine can be mounted longitudinally, getting rid of the front driveshaft, axles, making a new suspension for the front, new suspension for the back, possibly moving the fuel tank, gutting the interior and cutting the floor/moving the exhaust to make room for a driveshaft...and the list goes on.

EDIT: I think it would be actually easier to remove the mx6 body panels and put them on a 240sx, it would require a lot less custom work, and redoing the interior is a lot easier than redoing mechanical parts. Plus, you could be driving around in a 700 hp "MX6" Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
To everyone saying "Make it AWD/RWD", that conversion is pretty damn difficult, and requires a [shizzle]load of cutting, welding, ingenuity and money. The EASIEST way to do it would involve making new motor mounts so the engine can be mounted longitudinally, getting rid of the front driveshaft, axles, making a new suspension for the front, new suspension for the back, possibly moving the fuel tank, gutting the interior and cutting the floor/moving the exhaust to make room for a driveshaft...and the list goes on.

EDIT: I think it would be actually easier to remove the mx6 body panels and put them on a 240sx, it would require a lot less custom work, and redoing the interior is a lot easier than redoing mechanical parts. Plus, you could be driving around in a 700 hp "MX6" Just a thought...
Personally, if I were to go RWD, I'd want a rotary. Also would want to keep it as Mazda as possible, but that's me.

I'm also not the one shooting for it yet. :(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
well lucky for you the options for rotary stock only include Mazda and RWD
Yep, haha.

Although, I do think a FWD rotary would be different.

More than likely a waste of time, but it'd be different.

Different than my agenda also. About all I could even dream of doing at the current time is a ZE.

Although, the one MS 626 that had an AWD KL-ZE, twin turbo at that could prove to have a lot of usefulness.

Imagine a turbocharged, AWD MX-6. DE or ZE, whichever would be awesome.

Edit - Referring to the Mazdaspeed 626 Prototype. It's somewhere around here, in that "Things you can do with a ZE" thread...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts