Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

First let me say this is an awesome website you guys have here! So much information, so many knowledgable people. I can see me getting nothing done at work for the next 6 months!

I have done a lot of searching around the web, and searching through this website, however finding a few specific pieces of information is proving difficult (or perhaps my Google skills aren't as good as I thought...).

First off:

I have a RWD 1986 Mazda HB Cosmo (Japanese domestic version of a Aussy/NZ/Euro 929).

It is the series-2 model, with a FE 8-valve Multi-point injected motor, 5-speed manual, and a LSD from the rotary powered model.

I have modified the existing FE only mildy, but am thinking upgrading to a FE DOHC is the most logical next step as turbocharging is going to introduce alot more headaches (mainly with the ignition and fuel systems).

My current plan is to purchase a 626/MX-6 FE DOHC longblock (plentiful in NZ), and use my current gearbox, injection system, airflow meter, and ignition system. I am aware some tuning will be required! I also plan to weld the lower part of the FE DOHC intake mainfold to the upper existing FE manifold.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does the Mazda FE DOHC have the required bolt holes to mount in a North/South RWD configuration? Or am I going to have to purchase a Kia Sportage block and transfer everything over?

2) Will my existing flywheel/bellhousing bolt straight on to the rear of the motor? From what I have read the Kia motor will not, but the Mazda FE DOHC will bolt up to a F2 drivetrain. Would I be correct to presume an FE and F2 have the same bolt patterns?

3) Does the Mazda FE DOHC have a place to mount the distributor in a RWD configuration like the Kia Sportage FE DOHC?

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
as far as mazda fe or kia fe, i'd go kia fe for the main fact the front has the thermostat housing and the kia fe comes with a cam angle sensor, the location of the mazda dizzy is the same as the kia but kia uses a slimline cam angle sensor.

also if people tell you the kia and mazda fe's are the same, there not, there are minor changes, you won't be able to use mazda crank bearings, etc... in the kia, they are different.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
the bolt pattern to the box is the same, the kia has no dizzy, it uses teeth on the flywheel, so if you dont use those, you need a custom or edis pickup. all the mounting points in my ute (fe 8v) are the same on the fwd fe3 motor. theres just more meat between those points on the fe3. i should snap some pics of that.

with a couple of bits of an mx5 engine, you can make a CAS for the fe3, and use the mx5 ecu to run it.

wont you be choking it by using the standard airflow meter?

the kia coolant plumbing will be easier, but the fwd cooling is better, it should be worth the effort to make up the new plumbing.

give us a bell on 021 104 9330 if you want questions answered in person.

fred.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so from the replies so far I've gathered I can get a Mazda FE3 in the engine bay easy using the original mounts and drivetrain. Sounds good.

After considering a few things, I've decided its probably not a good idea to run the engine on the standard FE engine management... So I am going with splicing a Mazda FE3 loom into the standard one (is no problem as I have wiring diagrams for both).

Judging by the FE in there already, I don't think I will have any room for a CAS let alone a dizzy in the stock position, so that is the next major hurdle. Ideally I want to mount the standard FE3 dizzy in the front cover... has anyone done any research on this?

Also, does a KIA FE3 intake manifold and exhaust manifold flow any less than the Mazda equivalent?

Cheers for the help! Invaluable!

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
the kia intake does not have vics, which isn't necessary a bad thing for boost. exhaust manifold never seen one, so cannot say there.

if you have room for the piping on the mazda fe block at the back to re route your water piping, you will have room for the Cam Angle Sensor, its no where near as big as the dizzy.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
add 1cm to the base of the dizzy and you have the distance, it will be tight in my ute too, but it will fit. if its mazda, the thermostat housing will need to go at the back there too. dont forget that the dohc motor is quite a bit higher than the sohc one. on the ute the dohc rocker comes to where the top of the round tin air cleaner did on the sohc motor. the plenum is touch'n'go with the hood on the stock mounts, so i WAS planning to mill the two halfs of the intake manifold and save about 1cm, i also modified the mounts by 20mm, but i changed my mind and will now make a steel top half for the intake manifold, and make it lower.

the runners on the kia intake are a chunk smaller in diameter than the mazda ones, and the mazda ones are already 2mm smaller than the ports the whole way around.

also dont know about the kia exhaust.

i trust you have seen randys site? and this picture :

http://members.aol.com/solomiata2/Sportagegasketmatch.jpg

the mazda one probably falls half way from the kia to the gasket.

fred.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fred.

Yeah for the height and length issues, I am prepared to rework the bonnet with a larger bulge and perhaps massage the firewall a little. Would rather not, but if thats what it takes, thats what it takes.

Do you have any idea if it is possible to wire the Kia CAS into the standard Mazda FE DOHC engine loom?

Also, is a cut'n'shut on the intake pleneum to convert from FWD to RWD fairly easy or is there quite alot of stuff happening on the inside of it?

Thanks in advance
Aaron

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
in order

no worries

cool

kia works from teeth on the flywheel, totally different, so no.

shouldnt be to bad if you have an AC/HF tig, i've diced one of mine up with a grinder, but have no tig welder, and cant afford (dont want) someone else to do it. so i was going to make a new top half out of steel with my mig.

fred.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts