Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Basically, someone I know said they got quoted $3,000 labour inc. a 'few extras'. Don't know exactly what those extras are... but this has got to be absolutely ridiculous, right?
Could they perhaps have overquoted him to avoid doing the job? lol (I know people who do that)

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
YES AND NO.

ask anyone who has done a full conversion on weekend or engine swap. you can do one in weekend that's in effect lets say 16 hours drive in drive out. Perfect. work out the labour costs - add your fluids etc etc.

but I tell you now I know many over quote jobs like that. Especially a place that say does nto do many engine swaps.

I got mine done for alot less and alot more done most of my cost was in spares and new parts it cost me more then double that price.
but they did my mx-6 for less than quater that.
It's all about in effect where you go and what they do.
EG local workshop - does not want you headache
A performance workshop or race shop maybe kinder as they are use to it. but same time it's only a Eunos ?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
are they just taking it out, or replacing it? 3g in labour is a wee bit extreme imo, since ive heard of people around here getting ze's + install for like 2500?

If your feeling adventorous, can always attempt to do it yourself, if you thinkabout it logically it does seem easier than it first looks

·
Registered
752 Posts
seems like a bit much to me because it is really a head job but there is just a few things that are a shit

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
this is including the motor yea? what is the motor a recond one or low K jap one?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He called me yesterday and told me they quoted him on vrs kit, timing belt and tensioners, coil pack?, oil and filter, and some other things. He doesn't know much about cars it seems so I didn't fully understand. He already paid $1000 for the motor, and this $3000 is on top of that. I can do it myself but I honestly don't have the time do it, and I'm sick of doing engine jobs, they end up being nothing but headaches, especially 2nd hand crap.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
but the 3 K doesn't include the motor.. man that's a bit harsh.. I'd go some place else..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts