Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am kinda new around this forum ... I have problems with my car. Hope someone will try to help me, cuz I am new around mazda's.

Well, one day ... I started my car, and after long time a high rev him ... so, then I came to my friend (mechanic) .... I had a problems with lights, so we start looking around and finding the problem ... So, then I want to go back to home ... but It doesn't start, so we checked everything again ... and we found small problem ... the fuel pump was not working, there was no energy coming. SO, we tried to re-connect fuel pump to + manualy, and fuel pump was working ... but still not starting engine, I checked spark plugs aand everything, when I split gas into valve throught big filter ... mazda will start, my friend told me it can be fuel pump, but I don't think so, cuz fuel is going into engine but it wont start ... the engine got sparks ... I don't know what should I do ... Thanks for any help !

And sorry for my bad english.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your English is better than most people :p

Anyways, couple of thoughts and get some back history

1) Was the car running fine before this issue with the fuel pump?

eg: drove fine, idle is solid etc?

2) you mention you had light problems, can you define?

Did you headlights dim from time to time? Did you interior lights dim, or stereo start its self?

I would look at the alternator and battery, have both tested.

3) Being you have spark, when you did you last replace your rotor and cap?

4) Disty is another thing that goes often in these cars

Couple of things for you to look at.

Also ONE very important thing, are you getting a check engine light?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for fast response !

1) Well, car was running fine idle was 1000 rpm so its good.

2) One day, my lights doesn't work ... I turned them on (3rd position) and left turn signal was not blinking, it was tuned on like lights and lights was not working.

Yep, everything works except headlights - like i defined it in 3.
I had many bateries, cuz when I tried to start it - many of them just ran of energy. Starter is working, but it wont catch.

3) Well, I don't know I bought it about a year ago ... and it was for cheap price, I changed clutch ... I don't think so that things was changed.

4) What is that ? It's something like fuel injectors ? It wasn't changed I think

I doesn't have any engine error light.

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
See my answers below in BOLD

1) Well, car was running fine idle was 1000 rpm so its good.

Our cars are supposed to idle at ~650RPM, 1000 rpm is a little too high.

To deal with that, you need to adjust your idle screw on top of the throttle body, and probably adjust your TPS

High idle can also be caused by a vac leak or air in the coolant

For the Vac leaks. check ALL your hoses to see if they are cracked etc.

Also pay close attention to you air intake/box. (presumign that you are still stock) The elbow that goes from the VAF to the throttle body is known to crack and the unmetered air can also cause the car to not start and have a high idle.

Review those things too.

2) One day, my lights doesn't work ... I turned them on (3rd position) and left turn signal was not blinking, it was tuned on like lights and lights was not working.

Yep, everything works except headlights - like i defined it in 3.
I had many batteries, cuz when I tried to start it - many of them just ran of energy. Starter is working, but it wont catch.

If you are saying you've gone through many batteries, highly likely a problem with the alternator. Time to get that tested and replaced.

Starter, that is self explanatory, replace that.

3) Well, I don't know I bought it about a year ago ... and it was for cheap price, I changed clutch ... I don't think so that things was changed.

For the cap and rotor, it is easy to take it off and inspect it. If it looks worn = time to replace.

4) What is that ? It's something like fuel injectors ? It wasn't changed I think

Disty is the distributor that the cap and rotor attach to.

I doesn't have any engine error light.[/QUOTE]

There is also a chance that you have codes stored in your ECU that you can pull. But lets tackle that later.

I know I've basically said "replace" in every spot, but don't go out buying parts just yet.

Stick to the basics: Here is a simple action plan for you to start with

1) Check you vac lines and your air intake, and the elbow I mentioned - See if there are any leaks, cracks etc
2) Get that alternator tested.

Other folks will put in some advise for you soon, try to get the basics covered and go from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) I checked the hoses and air intake, also elbow goes from throttle
there was nothing cracked or leaked.

2) alternator is good, the baterry was running out energy because I didn't had a car started after trying to start it. But, when I split gas into throttle body - car will start for some seconds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for double post, but I have problem like that on video:

The gasoline comes from pump, like on the video is too slow. I mean, it's without a good pressure, might that be a problem ?

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
Hi Back again :)

Lets talk about your fuel pump, do you ever find that the car runs out of "juice" when you go around a corner pretty hard or climbing a hill?

Juice = no power to the engine, reduced power, sluggish performance?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I noticed last time when I was driving ... car was "jumping" losting power when I was climing onto hill ... when I reached a normal straight road, everything was fine. There was about half has tank, also I think car is slower than she was ...

·
Super Moderator
2,582 Posts
I then would agree that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. Justin L had the same issue. I'd opt for a walboro as a replacement, not the 255 unless you plan to boost and you need a FPR to run it right.. The 190 won't need an FPR to do the job.

You'll have to remove some suspension bits and drop the tank to do the job, very dooable though if you can jack the car up high enough. I would also recommend to do it on a near empty tank. Heavy as well when its half full to move.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I found one ... I can't buy walboro right now it's too expensive for me.

Will my mazda work well with this fuel pump ? :

It's ACRON brand.

BAR: 3
38mm

I am just thinking, will 3 bars be enough ? ...

I just googled some fuel pumps in my country, and that's what I get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts