Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also ordered some oil filters from Mazda; said that I wanted one for my 88, one for the 92 and one for the 97MX6. Well, they all look like they use the same filter. Didn't know this before. The part number is G6Y0-14-302A. I called back Mazda to make sure and they confirmed this.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Do they all have anti drain back valves?? All Mazda oil filters are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Yeah they apparently all fit. I bought an oil filter at the mazda dealer recently while buying some other parts, and when I mentioned I needed one, he just grabbed it off a shelf without even looking it up. I was like... "ummm... are you sure that's the right one?" and he said that they all use the same filters, except for the trucks, because they're fords. Found out that my friend's 2000 Acura TL uses the same filters as us too. Wierdness..

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, the part I have for my 88mx6 is the same for the 97V6 probe and MX6. (and that is just where one is going too)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Integra GS-Rs also use the same filter.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bigger filter

I just tried something on my '89 GT I had read about on ProbeTalk. I tried the oil filter for the ZR-1 Vette, and it fit! Compared to ours, it is HUGE! The number of the one I tried is Purolator L20253. (They don't (yet) have the PureOne filter for this size.) Mobil 1 also makes a filter in this size.

You may ask, "Why?" More filter media means more capacity for dirt, and more flow (less chance of oil starvation, especially as the filter gets full of dirt). That's the theory, anyway, and it makes sense to me.

Really, this thing is HUGE compared to what you're used to using. BTW, this was just an oil filter change - I changed the oil not very long ago. Keep in mind that the larger filter will make your oil capacity go up - probably by 1/2 quart!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
So the gasket is in the same place? That kicks ass. Another benefit of a larger oil filter is that it makes the oil cooler. I might try this the next time I change my oil.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Anarchyx34,

The gasket is a _little_ bit bigger in diameter, but still comes up flush against the filter flange. No leaks, anyway! I revved it pretty hard when I took it out for a drive. Bottom of the filter was clean!

Michael

1 - 12 of 12 Posts