Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

What do you think of the F2/F2T MTX tranny?

• Suck

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Average

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Kick Ass

Votes: 13 37.1%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Actually, what do *you* think?;)

In all seriousness though, why the question? Is there something thats happened to yours to prompt this poll? Also, good/bad/average, but compared to what(nissan, honda, mitsubishi)? Is that what you meant?

Gavin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing has happened to mine, 195k without any problems at all, I don't grind any gears or anything.

I think they are incredible considering the amount of torque I'm pushing.

Its just that a certian person here has been trashing mazda trannys in general for a while based on what happened to him, and I'm trying to see if its just an isolated thing.

I want to know everyones personal opinon of the trannys build and quality based on their experences.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
What can I say, I had to go with kick ass. I mean, we pretty much have to run with completely stock gearboxes b/c there is no aftermarket support for them. So considering the fact that we can push 200 ft/lbs of torque and who knows how much hp and they still hold up for the most part I can't complain. I would love to see what would happen to a stock GSR tranny pulling 200+ ft/lbs. I have seen a few around Orlando turbo'd, and my friend knows most of them. From what I hear they have axle problems. And have modded their tranny to be able to handle the power.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Browsing a bit I think I see the posts regarding what you mean.

I only know of this transmission(well, the N/A version also). It seems quite fine to me. It does the job I require and a bit more when needed. I autocross, I dont drag race and have very few engine mods.

The 1-2 shift could be a bit smoother and 1st gear a bit longer as the N/A was, but Ill take its strength over a bit of comfort. In fact I love its 2nd gear. While 1st is very short, 2nd is right at the torque curve and pulls cleanly to 62ish mph at redline(awesome for autox).

Aside from that, I have no issues. I am easy on the car. I have flushed the transmission twice, finally settling on GMs syncromesh for lubricant.

Nothing is ever perfect and things will fail. I was lucky in finding a car that was well taken care of by the previous owner( a lady from San Diego who apparently believed in getting the car regularly serviced). This can be the diference in a "good" car and a "bad" car. Take care of your ride and itll do its best, for as long as it can, to take care of you.

Gavin

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
gavin said:

Nothing is ever perfect and things will fail.
'Specially after 15 years.

'Specially after 4 or 5 owners.

'Specially after the last couple of owners have been, more often than not, the first car that the driver has owned and they're learning expensive lessons on a comparatively inexpensive vehicle.

'Specially since the owners, by and large, are relatively unsophisticated regarding physics and mechanics and frequently "mod" their vehicles to the point of destruction (how many posts have we seen where users stick a $15 MBC on their 6 with not even a boost gauge? How many posts extolling the virtues of removing the wastegate control altogether?)

The prevailing philosphy I see hereabouts is one of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" coupled closely with "why would I waste any money on preventative maintenance when I could buy a nifty BOV or a nifty STS with the same bux". Deadly combination.

When you up your torque by 20-40%, you stress the parts. When you neglect maintenance, you stress parts. When you pound the thing mercilessly, you stress parts. When you learn to drive. you stress parts.

Add all 4 components above to an incomplete understanding of how the thing even works and it's not surprising that there is the odd failure. In fact it's amazing that most of 'em aren't smoked.

I think Mazda did a fine job -- mark me down under "kicks a$$".

I wouldn't trust mine to some minimum-wage nosepicker/dropout/rebuilder, though.

Ever.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was happy with mine, at 320,000 i still hadn't had a problem with it. the only complaint i had was maybe a little rubbery and the throw a little long, but as a day to day, it was great, not like the 2 foot tall shifter in my rallycar!:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Definitely Kick Ass !!!!!

402,000 KMs and still going strong. Original engine, Original 5 spd tranny. Never rebuilt or replaced.

Half a Million klicks , here I come ! lol

P.S: My car is Stock, I spend my money on preventative maintenance . I don't drive like a Granpa but I'm not abusing the car either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see 5 votes for Suck, but none of the voters posted anything...

Could be that they didn't have any good arguments?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
FlySwat said:
Voters?

While there is more than one vote, that might not necessarily signify more than one voter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SleepCounter said:
Voters?

While there is more than one vote, that might not necessarily signify more than one voter.
I don't think the person you and I are thinking of would go that low :)

·
Banned
171 Posts
From what i experience in my cousins(DumpedMx6) car i know the GT tranny's are pretty damn strong ... Boosting 18 PSI at one point on a stock tranny is impressive to not bust anything

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I would say they kick ass.
Trougth my 15 years with Mazdas i have never had any kind of trouble with the trannys.
All cars have been bougth with min 200000 km on the odo

At the moment i have 2 FE DOCH powered cars.
88 Sedan 415000 km (future unshure due too recent front damage)
88 Coupe 230000 km (a keeper)

Even these cars have not given me any reason too complain about the trannys (lots of high speed driving and heavy accelaration)

·
Registered
115 Posts
FlySwat said:

Could be that they didn't have any good arguments?
I was one of those 5. I just said that cus I paid over 1200$ to get it rebuilt. Not to mention some small bar is bent in it that causes 5th and R to be hard to get in and out of which conviniently can't be easily replaced. My car just always has problems, probably caused these experienced mechanics that came highly recommended treated my car carelessly and did crappy work.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
jonnymerk20 said:
I was one of those 5. I just said that cus I paid over 1200$ to get it rebuilt. Not to mention some small bar is bent in it that causes 5th and R to be hard to get in and out of which conviniently can't be easily replaced. My car just always has problems, probably caused these experienced mechanics that came highly recommended treated my car carelessly and did crappy work.
So, like a certain lazy moderator, you found a rebuilder that ripped you off. Does that make the transaxle bad?

Sounds like incompetent/dishonest rebuilder (when combined with an uneducated consumer) somehow transforms the transaxle into a POS.

If anyone else wants to be ripped off, ship your transaxle to me -- I'll "rebuild" it for less than $1,000 US.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I think that my MTX has proven as robust as I expected. I've miss shifted a few times & tried to find "6th" a couple of times (I've had the thing 8 years) and it's still going strong.
My only criticism would be that 1st gear is so short that it's pretty much useless, apart from moving to the next window at McDonalds.

Full noise 1st/2nd shift can get nasty but thats the engine mounts getting sad I think.

But as a whole I would say, "strong, reliable, quiet"
I voted kick ass because it's still running, cost me nothing and from time to time has got a flogging and remained intact.

So, like a certain lazy moderator, you found a rebuilder that ripped you off
Can't help but think I've missed something over the weekend!!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Mazda MTX's

SleepCounter said:
'Specially after 15 years.

'Specially after 4 or 5 owners.

'Specially after the last couple of owners have been, more often than not, the first car that the driver has owned and they're learning expensive lessons on a comparatively inexpensive vehicle.

'Specially since the owners, by and large, are relatively unsophisticated regarding physics and mechanics and frequently "mod" their vehicles to the point of destruction.
In fact it's amazing that most of 'em aren't smoked.

I think Mazda did a fine job -- mark me down under "kicks a$$".
Re: MTX trannys
The factual reality by SleepCounter, I totally agree with him and his excellent analization of why our tranny's end up failing.
Take care of them and they'll take care of you !

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I think our trannies are pretty strong. I had an LX with 236,000 on it and I gave it an amazing beating, since it was totaled already, and had no problems. I've also done some pretty wicked burnouts with my GT (i know, i know tsk tsk) including one over 30 seconds at the track. No problems yet.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Post hi-jack.......

Anybody notice any diff in feel between LX and F2 trannies?

Years ago dad had a LX and the shifting action seemed nice and smooth and light. My F2 in comparison seems a bit notchy and stiff. Is a F2 tranny characteristic, or is mine showing signs of wear??

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
i agree with sleep counter too... My mx6's tranny although it has had SEVERAL baby fits, shifts fine. these act ups are pretty much due to the fact that idiot tim(original owner of my mx) used 5th gear has a hand rest, and when it started to pop out of gear, oh what did the smart man do? he HELD IT IN... "i see your shredded 5th gear slider and i raise you a shredded 5th gear hub+ additional metal near your shift gate"

every single 5spd i've seen fail is due to either user error, or, user error, whether its doing a burnout or not checking the fluid level.

This is what burnouts do for our transmissions... the kid that owned my probe thought it'd be a great idea to do a burnout in a puddle with the parking brake on....1st gear...2nd gear....3rd gear....then he let off the parking break, slowly accellerated forward and hit a dry patch of concrete in which pulpified the differential...here are some pics:

i cant imagine any other transmission being able to withstand that kind of abuse(i do mean abuse) and not show even the slightest signs of failing... who knows how many times he did a burnout, i just know this time he did one, he didnt drive it home

-Eric

1 - 20 of 27 Posts