Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Standard MX6 V6 (2.5)
Bloke round the corner has a Nissan Skyline GTR, its been modded a bit with ceramic turbos + loads of other fancy stuff under the hood (Braided hoses everywhere, brace's etc)
Do I stand a chance against him? Ive read on here that Nissans are POS, is this the case with this one?

Regards

Evilwoozl.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
some Nissans are POS's... and I'm an American, so i have never seen a Skyline run, but I am a huge fan! The R33 has a quarter time of 14.0, 276hp, and 271 lb-ft of torque. The R34 has a time of 13.7, 277hp, and 293 lb-ft of torque. If you beat him he wasn't trying. These cars are incredible, and that is one reason why they are illegal in the US. Anyone who says the Skyline is nothing knows nothing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
"These cars are incredible, and that is one reason why they are illegal in the US"

Skylines are not illegal in the US. They are just very expensive to import i think they run around $100,000. My local Performance shop (streetsports) imports them. Just because they run a 13.7 does not have to do with why they are here. Yes they are incredible but thats not why they are here. A camaro SS runs that same time. And look at the Viper its American and it runs 12s. I'm not trying to be like your wrong and i'm right i'm just tellin how it is, most people think they are illegal but there not here is a link to import them to the US:
http://www.streetsports.com/News/pr9.htm

later people

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
egads....

just dont breathe for a couple minutes after he passes you...damn dust. those cars are sweet.

SolarSlash

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
sorry... I just always assumed that b/c when I first started to get into cars that is what I was told. I just have always believed it to be true but never actually checked it myself. Thanks for the correction. If I ever get the money (yeah right) I'll import one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yea I thought the same thing till i was up one night lookin at my local performance's shop web page. I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it~! Yea when i get the money i'm going to get one to (never) or (in next life) lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
He would win every contest except "sex appeal". Those cars are not nice to look at.

Raced against a Skyline on a racetrack two weeks ago but it was only the gts with the 2.0 turbo. Wasn't as quick as the MX6 around the circuit. He gave up halfway through the day with some sort of oil seal leak.

The GTR is a different matter! If I saw one at the lights I'd get in behind, not next to thats for sure! No point in being embarassed for no reason . :eek:

·
Registered
416 Posts
its true these GTR's fly, but why the hell would nissan put a governor on them prohibitig them from goin faster then 112???? they reach top speed in 3rd gear!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah 112mph is Japans top speed. Even there motor bikes are restricted to this speed.....

Evilwoozl.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not a chance you could beat him really, provided he can drive it. You could probably loosen a couple of his lug nuts, but thats the only mod I can think of that would increase your chances versus the Skyling GTR. ;) They are pretty sweet cars. I have heard that you can buy a 240 SX wiht a bad motor for pretty cheap, buy the Skyline engine and have yourself a damn quick car. I think I saw someone say this could be done for about 5K or so. That would really give the domestic guys a headache and as mentioned above I think they respond very well to mods!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well the Mazda vs. Nissan question would be good if you put a 93-95 RX-7 up against a GTR... only reason why a GTR would have an edge is cuz it came out much later than the RX-7, therefore technology has changed rapidly. Both respond well to mods, and the 1.3L is capable of putting out incredible amounts of horsepower... look at Iberra's RX-7 (i think that's how you spell his name) the fastest car in import drag 4-6 cyl. right now. I've heard of a Pettit Racing RX-7 Banzai Edition and it has about 550hp and 450tq and 0-60 in 3.1 sec!!! And Mazda is gonna have that RX-8 on the streets soon, and that baby is gonna fly...

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was told w/ my Gen 2 RX7 that the Wankel Rotary may be only 1.3L... but the way it is made really gives it the power of a high revving 2.6L piston engine... more rotor fires or something like that...

·
Registered
621 Posts
uhh. yea I think it goes along the lines of each rotor fires each rotation, as opposed to a piston which only fires every second rotation of the crank.

Btw, the torque of the rotary (I really only know about the renesis) is real low (175nm) but it's flat up to around 12k rpm which would account for the peak power output at around 205kw (250hp?).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts