Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I just got a brand new redfire 4-cylinder Mazda6.

I'm going to install some Sylvania Silverstar headlights. The manual says that I have to have a dealership do it: "Replacing a Headlight Bulb: Due to the complexity and difficulty of this procedure, the bulbs should be replaced by an authorized Mazda Dealer"

I'm wanting to install them myself. I already have them, they're the bulb-only kind (part #H1-55W). Can anyone help? I think I'm going to have to take the whole headlight unit out for space reasons.

Above each headlight there are three bolts and two metal clips.

Here are some pictures: (~400k each)
right headlight: http://alien-imports.com/jeff/6/105_0509.JPG
left headlight: http://alien-imports.com/jeff/6/105_0510.JPG

If I take those bolts out, will the headlight slide out enough to give me room? Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Jeff

PS -- Upcoming additions include K&N air filter and custom radar detector install

·
Registered
137 Posts
Damn, now you have to take the car to the dealership just to change the headlight? WTF!

I don't have the answer to your question because I haven't gotten mine yet. But have you been to: http://mazda6club.com/forums/ yet? they would probably have the answer for you. But let me know how you do it so I don't have to take mine in when the time comes ;) .

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what the manual said.

But I did the time-honored "take it to Autozone and mess around with it until you fix it" method.

It was a tight fit on the left side because of the airbox and fuse box being in the way.

The low beam is the furthest out. Ignore the fact that from the front of the car it looks like a regular light bulb. Open the hood and have at it:

1. Turn the cap to the left a quarter turn and it should come out in your hand.

2. Unlock the mechanism that holds the bulb into place by pressing down on it and moving it to the side. Move that mechanism (which looks like a bent paper clip) out of the way.

3. Pull the bulb out.

4. Hold the bulb by it's base and unplug it.

5. Plug in the new bulb and reverse steps 1 - 3.

This takes about 5 minutes on the right side and about 15 on the driver's side. It will help to temporarily take the lid off of the fuse box to get at the bulb.

Note that you do not need to remove any bolts nor do you need to take it to the dealership. I'm not sure why they recommend that. I installed my Silverstars on my Mazda6 and they look great!

Jeff

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks, it's good to know I won't have to drop something like $120 at the dealer just to switch out the bulbs. So you have any pics of your 6?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the headlight with no problems. Follow the instructions listed above. It took me 5 min to replace driver side low beam. When I went to the dealership to get the headlight they tried to talk me out of trying myself. I called them when I was done and was amazed at the shock the parts guy had. So fear not, it is quite simple! The only reason it took that long was because I struggled for a moment with the clip that holds in the light.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the headlight with no problems. Follow the instructions listed above. It took me 5 min to replace driver side low beam. When I went to the dealership to get the headlight they tried to talk me out of trying myself. I called them when I was done and was amazed at the shock the parts guy had. So fear not, it is quite simple! The only reason it took that long was because I struggled for a moment with the clip that holds in the light.

Cheers!
Thanks, good info. What about replacing the fog light and high beams? They seem to be a little harder to get too. Is it the same process for these bulbs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts