Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I said I'd make a new thread when I started. I'll keep this updated with all the progress on them from repair, to paint, to install, no matter how long it takes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some of the repair pictures of the skirts. Hopefully things keep going this good because if it does, they will be on in no time!

After some sanding and serious grinding of the bad spots...

^This one has to have a lot of the back end of it reshaped with glass and short strand filler. A lot of rot and damage was done by the previous owner. Wish people knew the value of things, they might look after them more!

^This one had a big crack that had to be completely ground off. This section is being remade with fiberglass now and will be a few days before I can go back in and try reshaping it.

^The worst of the batch...needs a lot of attention!

^One corner completed so far...only a scuff sand away for this end that was pretty ratty when I started.

So far thats all I've got finished. I ran out of time today working on them and assignments are starting to pile up again, so this will all have to wait until next weekend to continue. I want them perfect, so its definitely something that will take longer then over night.

Stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
so you are putting fiberglass on urithane?

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
oh ok just looked like plastic. that would be bad though glass on plastic i wonder how long that would take to chip off.

looks good though

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok just looked like plastic. that would be bad though glass on plastic i wonder how long that would take to chip off.

looks good though
I wish they were plastic because A. they probably wouldn't be this badly damaged and B. the plastic fillers are easier to use and don't clump because there is no strand to them. This stuff is a pain to work with because it has glass strand in it to make it bite better.

Next time I'm down I'll take a picture of the backs of them because they have all new fiberglass laid in them to strengthen the corners. Much needed because as you can see they didn't fair to well to being dragged along something!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I love those skirts. Can't wait to see pics of another set on the road.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Damn I didn't realize you were going about it yourself, awesome. Still thinking about a future reproduction, or you just wanna keep them rare?
-Glenn

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn I didn't realize you were going about it yourself, awesome. Still thinking about an future reproduction, or you just wanna keep them rare?
-Glenn
Shops want too much money to repair them. If I can get the major stuff out of the way I can save myself a lot of money. I do know what I'm doing, but I haven't done it in so long that my skill level of getting that perfection I seek might not be the highest. For the final touches I will probably have a shop do them. Paint will be done professionally.

As for replication, well, they need to be finished first before that becomes a priority. Shops wont even quote me until they are done and until they are done, I wont know if I have to self fund that or have a shop help me out. Only time will tell, but it wont be until later in the summer that they get replicated, if at all. They will be done, so don't worry, I just don't know when I'll have the chance to do it just yet.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought you were going to have them dublicated so that other mx6ers can buy them. Is that still a plan or its gone?
Yes...

As for replication, well, they need to be finished first before that becomes a priority. Shops wont even quote me until they are done and until they are done, I wont know if I have to self fund that or have a shop help me out. Only time will tell, but it wont be until later in the summer that they get replicated, if at all. They will be done, so don't worry, I just don't know when I'll have the chance to do it just yet.
I could have replicated them damaged, but then who would by them. They have to be repaired and painted before replicated.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Great work man, looking forward to what comes out of this, including replication :tup:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
How long did it take you to make both sides? They look great. And I'm doing this as a favor, and not to start anything, but asuna has a set that he made and he told me to send me a PM for a pic, as I do not want to hijack this anymore than this already.

But none the less, they are looking good man.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't make them, I'm repairing them. There is a big difference.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
looks sweet, I LOVE fiberglass, wish someone close to me had a set, I would make a replica asap if I had the chance.

May I ask where you tracked these down from?

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got them from Nivag in the UK last year. They were damaged before shipping so I'm fixing them up. They are a little worse then I thought but none the less they are turning out ok.

Haven't worked on them since this thread was created because I've been desperately trying to get the brakes done on the car so that I can drive it next week.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts