Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm not mechanically inclined...

Will most auto mechanics install aftermarket parts (provided the customer buys the part first?)

Or are they generally hesitant? I'm generalizing, I'm not thinking any parts in particular...

Thx,

~Schadenfreude~

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
AS couple of quick thoughts. Most mechanics charge more if they install parts you bought. This is to make up for them not being able to make money by marking parts up. And also, make sure your mechanic has dealt with mods similar to the ones you'e got. I've seen mechanics not be able to instal a CAI since it's not something they deal with often, or ever.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
none of the normal mechanics around me will install aftermarket parts, however there are a couple speed shops that would :shrug: i just install everything i want on my car myself.....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Many wont install furnished parts for one of 2 reasons:
1) the parts are not always of good quality or fitment, and the mechanic wont want to guarantee his work or the part.
2) what rylinkus said

·
Registered
476 Posts
if you goto dealerships all parts are OEM, however if you goto other shops the majority of the parts will be aftermarket, the only time it won't be is if customer reuqests, or dealer item only

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The term "aftermarket" is quite broad. Most replacement parts that you buy at NAPA or Autozone or whatever are considered "aftermarket" as they are generally made by a different manufacturer than the parts that were installed at the factory. By "aftermarket", do you mean performance-enhancing parts or non-OEM (non-dealership) parts?

If you're referring to performance parts, that's a separate issue. Most mechanics install only direct replacement aftermarket or dealer parts, not "performance" aftermarket parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts