Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 93MX-6 ... i've had the car since the 27th of april... I had a cd player installed wed and as of friday my alternator has burnt out or broke... Does anyone in South Jersey... possibly Burlington County or even better Mt Holly know a good mechanic... Being female i'm trying to check around and find one that won't f*ck me over... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
everybody here is a mechanic

a) fix it yourself and save yourself a load of money (girl mechanics are sexy too)

b) have a male friend take it anywhere & when you have a diagnosis come back here and check with us

are you sure whoever installed your cd player didn't screw up the wiring? maybe you should take it back to them for a warranty check up

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'ld love to learn to fix the car myself... I had it installed in Louisiana where i bought the car... i got the car for $1600 and it had 120k miles on it...

I'm almost sure they messed up the wiring... Last time i went to one of them "chain" stores that does car audio installation they messed up my alternator in another car... Its the same syptoms as before... Occasionally i'll get some power but still wont be able to turn it over... it appears thats the battery is charging itself at a very slow rate... and last night after i jumped the car long enuff for it to turn over (about 20 minutes) on the way home when i would just any electrical stuff you could see the headlights getting dimmer... and the minute i shut off the car i once again had no power.... which really sucks on a car that is pretty much all power oriented...

i mean does that sound like it could be anything else except the alternator?

i have no guy friends that know crap about cars... i'm rather new to the south jersey area... I've already been screwed by mechanics in this area with my probe

Gina

[Edited by SundayGirl on 05-05-2001 at 01:35 PM]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
SundayGirl, this probably won't help you but there is an excellent mechanic that both my sister and I go to. They are the kind of guys that find small maintenance things and fix them free of charge even though you didn't ask for it. Extremely clean place and always courteous and honest. They can do anything you need and I trust them 100%. I won't go anywhere else. They are near Rte 1 just outside of Princeton. It is called Princeton Garage and you can find them on the net at:

http://www.princetongarage.com

If you go, I think they even have a10% off thing you can print out from website for your first visit.

Oh, they work fast and don't gouge you on hourly rate.

[Edited by 2Rusty on 05-08-2001 at 09:58 AM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright i'm stupid when it comes to cars apparently
Sunday i bought a battery and put it in and my car runs again. So then i went and got my alternator tested at two different places both told me it is fine...

Thank you all for the advice... I'm starting to realize this car is going to be a money pit for me... I know you'll all cringe when i say this but tis such a cute car that i dont mind putting money into it...

thanks
gina

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
SundayGirl said:
Alright i'm stupid when it comes to cars apparently
Sunday i bought a battery and put it in and my car runs again. So then i went and got my alternator tested at two different places both told me it is fine...

Thank you all for the advice... I'm starting to realize this car is going to be a money pit for me... I know you'll all cringe when i say this but tis such a cute car that i dont mind putting money into it...

thanks
gina
Just remember Gina, if something goes wrong with the car, the first thing that you should do is come here and ask us a question (in the correct forum of course). Then, once you know what the problem is, take it to a mechanic and have them change/fix whatever part we suspect is the problem.

Mechanics just love to take advantage of women with nice cars.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yo sunday girl

Do you know where Camden County region is, like voorhees and cherry hill area is? cuz in my area I know a lot of mechanics and they give me good prices as well...so just give me a hollar if you still need help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i know where Cherry Hill is... Thats where i hit the bars at... My friend managed to puncure the radiator overflow container while trying to fix a flat tire. Apparently to get a part like this they have to call the dealer then the dealer has to order it and it apparently takes forever to do this... Its been a week and i'm still without a car.... but if you could pass some names along it would be greatly appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
There is a guy in the for sale section parting out a 93 MX6 near Rutgur's University. Maybe he has the part you need. It should be something that's easy to do yourself.

·
Registered
193 Posts
don't buy parts at the dealer, they'll gouge anyone! try a used parts place, perhaps online like...

www.kerodgersmazda.com
or
www.mazdarecycling.com

I got an ABS part from kerodgers in ONE day for like $250 cheaper than the dealer wanted it (it was a sensor).
good luck with it.

hr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts