Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a guide recently for the mega squirt and I remember seeing a part where it said to modify the distributor by grinding down some teeth. I’m wondering if it’s actually necessary and why. Haven’t found any other information about it upon searching. I don’t want to fuck up my timing when I attempt this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use ms3x and I didn't grind any teeth down. Remove one of the sensors in the distributor and only use one sensor for cam speed. Count the amount of teeth on the wheel i forget off the top of my head. It'll have the option for that wheel in the system already when you're setting up your basic ign settings i believe. I can check later for ya how I have my ign set up. I run aftermarket ign module and coil. I only use the distributor for the cam speed sensor. Also don't think you need ms3x to do this I believe the other megasquirt models can do that too. Got the ms3 x expansion board so I can stage water meth from the lap top. Haven't gotten there yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh okay I see. I’m nervous about changing things and whatnot. My buddy has a Miata and he said he just replaced his ecu with the MS. I’m jealous of him lol. I’m probably better off staying stock honestly

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you want a standalone ecu just to have one then its more work than its worth. Its more of a supporting mod really. Your factory ecu is plenty capable of stock performance and light modding. It makes it easy for tuning but if you're not going to have much tuning going on in the near future I'd leave it stock. I installed mine straight off the manual and set it up how they tell you to and it fired right up after I repaired a bad crimp cause I used the wrong tool. Thats the other thing. If you're going to wire your own engine harness get the right tools and don't do it like me and create headaches tracing down a couple bad crimps causing my coil to drop voltage and caused issues. Just be careful and read the instructions or keep it stock. You'll pay an arm for a pro to do it. I use shadow dash on my phone and have a Bluetooth transmitter from diyautotune plugged into the ms3x. Displays all my vitals on my phone mounted to the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, my goal for this year, most likely closer to the end of the year, was to upgrade the turbo(I heard t3/t4 or Tbird hybrids were common) bigger injectors and I already have a walbro fuel pump, but if installing an aftermarket ecu will be that much of a PITA I’ll make due with stock turbo and a probinator chip. I’ll still plan for mega squirt but I think I’ll get more experience under my belt before I tackle something like that. Btw is a 255lph pump too much even with probinator? I read I’ll run very rich and that’s why I haven’t installed it yet

·
Registered
125 Posts
Chips aren't really my thing I'm only 23 so the whole chip thing is a bit over my head bit too old for me. No clue how they run with the probanator. I have a walbro 255 with an adjustable boost reference fuel pressure regulator. 440cc injectors at 45psi. Was running rich for a while but just needed more street tuning. Don't think you have much wiggle room with the tune when you're using a chip. A more experienced guy can chime in on the chip. I went straight to standalone from stock when rats ate my harness up a few years back. I'm only doing sequential fuel injection and ign off of the ms3 X card so right now its a bit overkill. But I have tons of outputs for relays in the future. When I up my fuel and add some juice. Also got a killer deal on it buying it off a buddies ditched project car. Paid 500 for the ms3x and both the ms3 harness and ms3x harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts