Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a guide recently for the mega squirt and I remember seeing a part where it said to modify the distributor by grinding down some teeth. I’m wondering if it’s actually necessary and why. Haven’t found any other information about it upon searching. I don’t want to fuck up my timing when I attempt this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use ms3x and I didn't grind any teeth down. Remove one of the sensors in the distributor and only use one sensor for cam speed. Count the amount of teeth on the wheel i forget off the top of my head. It'll have the option for that wheel in the system already when you're setting up your basic ign settings i believe. I can check later for ya how I have my ign set up. I run aftermarket ign module and coil. I only use the distributor for the cam speed sensor. Also don't think you need ms3x to do this I believe the other megasquirt models can do that too. Got the ms3 x expansion board so I can stage water meth from the lap top. Haven't gotten there yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh okay I see. I’m nervous about changing things and whatnot. My buddy has a Miata and he said he just replaced his ecu with the MS. I’m jealous of him lol. I’m probably better off staying stock honestly

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you want a standalone ecu just to have one then its more work than its worth. Its more of a supporting mod really. Your factory ecu is plenty capable of stock performance and light modding. It makes it easy for tuning but if you're not going to have much tuning going on in the near future I'd leave it stock. I installed mine straight off the manual and set it up how they tell you to and it fired right up after I repaired a bad crimp cause I used the wrong tool. Thats the other thing. If you're going to wire your own engine harness get the right tools and don't do it like me and create headaches tracing down a couple bad crimps causing my coil to drop voltage and caused issues. Just be careful and read the instructions or keep it stock. You'll pay an arm for a pro to do it. I use shadow dash on my phone and have a Bluetooth transmitter from diyautotune plugged into the ms3x. Displays all my vitals on my phone mounted to the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, my goal for this year, most likely closer to the end of the year, was to upgrade the turbo(I heard t3/t4 or Tbird hybrids were common) bigger injectors and I already have a walbro fuel pump, but if installing an aftermarket ecu will be that much of a PITA I’ll make due with stock turbo and a probinator chip. I’ll still plan for mega squirt but I think I’ll get more experience under my belt before I tackle something like that. Btw is a 255lph pump too much even with probinator? I read I’ll run very rich and that’s why I haven’t installed it yet

·
Registered
174 Posts
Chips aren't really my thing I'm only 23 so the whole chip thing is a bit over my head bit too old for me. No clue how they run with the probanator. I have a walbro 255 with an adjustable boost reference fuel pressure regulator. 440cc injectors at 45psi. Was running rich for a while but just needed more street tuning. Don't think you have much wiggle room with the tune when you're using a chip. A more experienced guy can chime in on the chip. I went straight to standalone from stock when rats ate my harness up a few years back. I'm only doing sequential fuel injection and ign off of the ms3 X card so right now its a bit overkill. But I have tons of outputs for relays in the future. When I up my fuel and add some juice. Also got a killer deal on it buying it off a buddies ditched project car. Paid 500 for the ms3x and both the ms3 harness and ms3x harness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use ms3x and I didn't grind any teeth down. Remove one of the sensors in the distributor and only use one sensor for cam speed. Count the amount of teeth on the wheel i forget off the top of my head. It'll have the option for that wheel in the system already when you're setting up your basic ign settings i believe. I can check later for ya how I have my ign set up. I run aftermarket ign module and coil. I only use the distributor for the cam speed sensor. Also don't think you need ms3x to do this I believe the other megasquirt models can do that too. Got the ms3 x expansion board so I can stage water meth from the lap top. Haven't gotten there yet
Sweet, this is the information I needed. So you just have to pull one of the sensors out of the dizzy. What year dizzy are you using? I guess the 88-89 are different than the 90-92

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm using a 92 gt distributor. I removed one of the 24 tooth sensors and save it somewhere special as im pretty sure you can use either side. You'll want to find your crank angle by setting and marking the distributor location close to where it is stock. With the fuel pump disconnected and ignition settings are fixed at 10 degrees advanced crank the car over with a timing light and see where you're at. Youll either be retarded or advanced. If youre way off you can use the distributor to adjust to get closer to your fixed timing. If you're close adjust the crank angle in the tooth settings up or down in small increments and dial in your fixed timing. Then start it up and run it at that fixed timing. Remember to change your ign settings back to the ign table you are using. Hope this helps too. Its been a while since I did this I could take screenshot of my ign settings if you need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using a 92 gt distributor. I removed one of the 24 tooth sensors and save it somewhere special as im pretty sure you can use either side. You'll want to find your crank angle by setting and marking the distributor location close to where it is stock. With the fuel pump disconnected and ignition settings are fixed at 10 degrees advanced crank the car over with a timing light and see where you're at. Youll either be retarded or advanced. If youre way off you can use the distributor to adjust to get closer to your fixed timing. If you're close adjust the crank angle in the tooth settings up or down in small increments and dial in your fixed timing. Then start it up and run it at that fixed timing. Remember to change your ign settings back to the ign table you are using. Hope this helps too. Its been a while since I did this I could take screenshot of my ign settings if you need.
I’m running the stock 89 dizzy. I know the wiring is slightly different from what I have to what you have. Something about how many wires there are, but I think the internals are the same. Hmmm

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tbh im not sure on the difference between the years and how they would be wired differently. I know the gt and na distributors are vastly different but I have not compared an 88 gt distributor with a 92 gt distributor. If yours has 3 sensors inside it with wires to each one theyre likely the same. Maybe somebody with more experience on the different years can chime in on that. You can log your tooth wheel and trigger with megasquirt so i was able to verify it was reading properly while cranking. I also logged it up to the rev limiter after I had lots more tuning on main ve and ign tables

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tbh im not sure on the difference between the years and how they would be wired differently. I know the gt and na distributors are vastly different but I have not compared an 88 gt distributor with a 92 gt distributor. If yours has 3 sensors inside it with wires to each one theyre likely the same. Maybe somebody with more experience on the different years can chime in on that. You can log your tooth wheel and trigger with megasquirt so i was able to verify it was reading properly while cranking. I also logged it up to the rev limiter after I had lots more tuning on main ve and ign tables
Not sure if you have this answer but, is the body harness and engine harness intertwined? Or once I run the megasquirt, I’ll be free to completely remove the engine harness??? Thanks again bro!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tbh I would try my best to incorporate the factory engine harness as it is one the cleanest ways to wire your engine. Mine engine harness was chewed up by rodents so for me I had no other option. The body harness and engine harness connect at a couple different points, one being the 12v supply for each of your injectors, i believe there's a connector that has the 12v supply for the ecu as well. Theres also the fuel pump relay signal thats on a connector underneath the glove compartment. You will have to reference the manual for these connectors and wires as i cant recall off the top of my head. Once those are all established the engine harness can be removed and you can run your own wiring loom. If i were to do it over again I'd have gotten a replacement harness and built a plug n play kit out of it. Remember to leave all your spare wires with a decent length pig tail so you can attach onto them if need be. For instance you made not need some of the outputs and inputs but don't fully get rid of those wires as they come in handy. Same with if youre running an expansion board and using the ign and fuel control on that board, keep the standard ign and fuel wires wrapped up underneath where its tucked and safe. I had lost an injector driver on my ms3x expansion board and went back to the standard fuel control on the main board. Saved me the cost of a new expansion board atleast for now. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tbh I would try my best to incorporate the factory engine harness as it is one the cleanest ways to wire your engine. Mine engine harness was chewed up by rodents so for me I had no other option. The body harness and engine harness connect at a couple different points, one being the 12v supply for each of your injectors, i believe there's a connector that has the 12v supply for the ecu as well. Theres also the fuel pump relay signal thats on a connector underneath the glove compartment. You will have to reference the manual for these connectors and wires as i cant recall off the top of my head. Once those are all established the engine harness can be removed and you can run your own wiring loom. If i were to do it over again I'd have gotten a replacement harness and built a plug n play kit out of it. Remember to leave all your spare wires with a decent length pig tail so you can attach onto them if need be. For instance you made not need some of the outputs and inputs but don't fully get rid of those wires as they come in handy. Same with if youre running an expansion board and using the ign and fuel control on that board, keep the standard ign and fuel wires wrapped up underneath where its tucked and safe. I had lost an injector driver on my ms3x expansion board and went back to the standard fuel control on the main board. Saved me the cost of a new expansion board atleast for now. Hope this helps
What did you use for a coolant temp sensor? Did you have to adapt a gm one? Or were you able to use the factory sensor?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm using a stock coolant temp sensor. Also will have to figure out how you will measure airflow with your new ecu set up. I think you can use the stock air flow meter still but no experience on that myself as I went with a speed density algorithm

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using a stock coolant temp sensor. Also will have to figure out how you will measure airflow with your new ecu set up. I think you can use the stock air flow meter still but no experience on that myself as I went with a speed density algorithm
I’m going speed density as well. Ordered my MicroSquirt setup today. It’ll be a winter project so I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions for you. Appreciate all the help bro. Where you from?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I live out in Aurora Colorado. Not many mx6s I see ever in this area. Wish there was more of a following here but oh well! For sure though I had to learn all the rules of the megasquirt game too! Still learning every time I hop on the computer. The best piece of literature you can study up on with be the manual for that computer. Just literally read it like a book for everything that remotely applies to you. It will help you wrap your head around it so that when you install everything you already have a game plan and diagram to wire to. Itll be fun tbh it isn't a whole lot of work but patience with the wirng is key. Well worth it afterwards! The tuning capabilities are endless. Good ol technology

·
Registered
7 Posts
I live out in Aurora Colorado. Not many mx6s I see ever in this area. Wish there was more of a following here but oh well! For sure though I had to learn all the rules of the megasquirt game too! Still learning every time I hop on the computer. The best piece of literature you can study up on with be the manual for that computer. Just literally read it like a book for everything that remotely applies to you. It will help you wrap your head around it so that when you install everything you already have a game plan and diagram to wire to. Itll be fun tbh it isn't a whole lot of work but patience with the wirng is key. Well worth it afterwards! The tuning capabilities are endless. Good ol technology
Did you have to grind down teeth on the distributor??? ::edit:: I was rereading the post and you said you didn’t grind any down. I wonder if other than wiring, if our dizzy are any different. I wonder if the internals are the same

·
Registered
174 Posts
Take it apart and do a good cleaning on it, replace the seal if there is any oil residue in the distributor. While youre at it shoot me some pictures and we can compare! Just to reiterate I did not grind any teeth down. Megasquirt has the option for a dual wheel cam speed set up using a single tooth wheel and a 24 tooth wheel. All you remove is one of the two 24 tooth sensors as megasquirt only needs one reading that wheel. I will eventually be adding a crank tooth sensor as well but my first attempt didn't go the smoothest lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Take it apart and do a good cleaning on it, replace the seal if there is any oil residue in the distributor. While youre at it shoot me some pictures and we can compare! Just to reiterate I did not grind any teeth down. Megasquirt has the option for a dual wheel cam speed set up using a single tooth wheel and a 24 tooth wheel. All you remove is one of the two 24 tooth sensors as megasquirt only needs one reading that wheel. I will eventually be adding a crank tooth sensor as well but my first attempt didn't go the smoothest lol
Did you bypass the ignitor and use just the distributor? Or does that still need to be used in the ignition setup with the MS??

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am not using any mazda ignition components besides the cam speed sensors for ignition. Im using a wasted spark coil pack with an aftermarket ignition module all off diyautotune. You can fire a factory coil and distributor set up through megasquirt i went this route cause its one step closer to sequential ignition with an individual coil per cylinder and mount it in the same location. Thats a bit in the future though as wasted spark is plenty for my current set up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts