Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched some but would like to know more about this standalone. Basicaly would it be good for just all bolt ons or is it really only an improvment when using forced induction. Do you have to tune with a dyno does it send signals to a laptop that lets you change timing, spark, fule delivery. I guess i just need more info on how that its used any help info would be helpfull i dont know alot when it comes to electrical and engine managment. thanks

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Possibly a good time to make a sticky on the FAQs? Good questions by the way.

metros

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i agree i just am about dumb as a rock when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of looked at that forum when i went on there and yes it does help but i was kind of hoping to get a probe or mx6 point of view most of what i read was about ohter cars. I will read more but please continue to give info

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man this shit is over my head

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
Wow, when i read it the first time, i must've missed your post, cuz i could've answered 'em. It will give you a little bit of an increase, if you have a lot of bolt-ons, otherwise the stock ECU can compensate. You can tune with a dyno, or you can tune with a wide band 02 sensor, those are the two main ways of tuning that i've found so far. It has a...i can't remember what its called, (serial port?) which allows you to connect it to connect to your computer, which, depending on the package that you get, you can set new fuel maps, adjust your timing, pretty much everything. I haven't actually put mine on yet, but thats most of what i've found so far.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm surprised Fastest95pgt hasn't posted here yet. Try www.megasquirt.info - It has all the information you need.

Also, fastest is working on creating a harness so it'll plug right in...NEW BOLT ON woot! Plug n play ;). You can fully tune megasquirt by hooking it up to windows...but it'd be great on a dyno and a car can always use a nice tune-up.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
MS is wonderful for n/a tuning! I went from a 14.5 1/4 to a what should be a 13.9 (8.9 1/8th mile time). Watch out for the batch firing :)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
jwmx6 said:
Basicaly would it be good for just all bolt ons
Absolutely.. but gains are minor I would imagine if all you have is intake and exhaust. I'm not sure if anyone has installed MS on an NA fairly stock DE. I should do that on my gf's 93 LS to see what I can squeeze out of it... hmmm, don't tell her Dave, it'll be our secret!
is it really only an improvment when using forced induction.
Wonderful for FI as well. :tup:
Do you have to tune with a dyno
Nope, but since I love being a dyno queen, I have come to appreciate the tweaks which can only be measured on the dyno. You'll never see a 3whp gain here and 2wtq there from changing this and that. All you can really do on the road is measure A/F once you get a pretty good timing tune.
does it send signals to a laptop that lets you change timing, spark, fule delivery.
Yes, you use a nice little program (MegaTune) which shows you all of your real time readings from sensors as well as maps which let you change your fuel, timing, etc etc etc in an instant.
I guess i just need more info on how that its used any help info would be helpfull i dont know alot when it comes to electrical and engine managment. thanks
We all started there, no matter who we are and how long ago it was. You can get some great starter tunes from people on here or on PT who have similar mods to get you going, then you weak it to suit your car whether it's timing or fuel or both. :tup:

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Absolutely.. baseline's rock. :tup: I really should though toss it in a stock 93 and see what I can do. I think she'll let me, so now it's just a matter of getting up the $75 for an hour with wideband. Think I'd get any donations from other curious people? ;)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I'd like to see what results you get. I'm contimplating putting together a megasquirt, but not if I'm only going to see 10 hp out of it.
Dyno's would be nice, or even just before and after 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
1/4 mile times are worthless for estimating power to within 10hp.

If you expect more than 10hp with just the addition of MS to a basic bolt-on'd car, I wouldn't waste my time... I wouldn't be surprised to see close to 10hp after I/H/E, but more would.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is more like it !!! I have intake, full exhaust , test pipe, headers, race wires, underdrive pulley, i wonder if you could run the ms with a msd or ignition or would the ms even replace the need for that.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Fastest95PGT said:
1/4 mile times are worthless for estimating power to within 10hp.

If you expect more than 10hp with just the addition of MS to a basic bolt-on'd car, I wouldn't waste my time... I wouldn't be surprised to see close to 10hp after I/H/E, but more would.
Just trying to be flexible since 1/4 mile times are easier and cheaper to come by than a dyno plot.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Up to you completely. I'll just be the guy on the sideline saying the results of track times are inconclusive except to those who want to believe what they want to believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts