Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
this is a probably a stupid question but i just need to know what megasquirt unit would be the one i need for what i am doing, i don't know much or anything about ecu tuning or ecu building. however it will be professionally tuned.
i am building the FE3 for boost, nitrous, and methanol injection. now i know what you're thinking, what an idiot but i am not going to be using extreme amounts of any of them just a little of all. max boost will probly be about 15 psi maybe 20 if it can handle everything i am doing. might end up being less than 15 i don't know yet. other than turbo/ supercharging the nitrous and methanol injection is a whole new world to me.

now the reason why i am wanting to run all of this because an NA FE is not in the options for me it will be boosted, now with that being said the methanol will keep everything running at a cooler temp. and nitrous for that extra "umph"
i want this engine to be unique and a power house. i am building it to put in my 94 FD3S temporarily until i build a 20bT (rotary) for it, then stuff the FE3 into my 90 2wd toyota pickup.

bare with me i am still learning about the ECU world so any and all input is greatly appreciated
thanks
Jessie

·
Registered
6 Posts
megasquirt

jlc
I'm new to the forum and not a mazda guy but i have info. I have a kia sportage that uses the FE3 just in rwd form. Right now I'm using the megasquirt2 v 3.5(lazy and did not want to built the board) I'm using it in fuel only with 15psi of boost with no problems. This one can do the spark, it has boost over protection and i have seen nitrous in the control panel but just not set it up( not using no2). If you do use megasqurt use the Tunerstudio software it is easier then the Megatune( still free) and can be learned fastest. When you get to that point I have maps you can look at to get a close idea to start the engine. I would go with the newer ms3 because it has the onboard data log and the usb already part of the setup. that's my 2cents if you want more i would be glad to share the problems I've had

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Just pick your poison, how much do you wanna spend on it, any of them can run it, just newer versions have newer features...I'll be using a ms2 with the v3 and wasted spark...less than 300 bucks since I built it myself...ms3 is a price jump but has alot of extra features, if you feel you need them and can afford it, buy that one...

there are plenty of places on the web to read up on each, and that's where I would start...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah what Matt said,the newer stuff is really nice if you can afford it,and can use the options. I am currently running MS1 V 3.0 with the high resolution code,and COP. I'm not planning on using Nitrous,or Methanol either,just run race gas on a completely stock Mazda FE.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I suspect op has neither fe3 nor fd to put it in. 15psi + meth injection + nitrous... yea who builds a car like that? Sorry, but something about the post doesn't read like someone actually building an fe3.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect op has neither fe3 nor fd to put it in. 15psi + meth injection + nitrous... yea who builds a car like that? Sorry, but something about the post doesn't read like someone actually building an fe3.
actually it is a serious question and i am planning on doing it, maybe not right off the bat but i am getting everything ready and capable. im asking questions and doing research on it before i waste money on something that will be useless when i get everything done and ready. as for the car yeah i have it, i have the fe3, and i have the nitrous. right now all i am waiting to get is the meth. so if you have any useful input then do share otherwise don't post here.

is the ms v2.2 able to read "distributorless" (trigger wheel) or do i need to get something else for it to be able to do that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you look in the megasquirt manual it talks about how to set it up to run that kind of setup. Currently I am just running fuel but i know it can. The problem is the trigger wheel because the stock kia FE3 uses a Crank angle sensor ( or cam angle can't remember which)so you will need to have one mounted. you may be able to use it but I have not found the answer on how yet. Will you be using the stock ecu for any part. You could use it the the spark. At the boost level(15psi) I think the stock ecu can keep up with the spark and then you would not have to deal with it yet. I run mine at 14psi using the stock ecu for spark and the megasqiurt for fuel with no problems but I am sure im not at the fuel hp the motor could be at.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Running both nitrous and methanol is kinda pointless, just pick your poison. If you run a wet shot it'll have the same cooling effect on your intake manifold that you'll get from spraying methanol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will you be using the stock ecu for any part. You could use it the the spark. At the boost level(15psi) I think the stock ecu can keep up with the spark and then you would not have to deal with it yet. I run mine at 14psi using the stock ecu for spark and the megasqiurt for fuel with no problems but I am sure im not at the fuel hp the motor could be at.
i am planning on running only the megasquirt that's why i was asking what the best option(s) would be to control fuel, spark, injection, and boost. i am still up in the air what version i should get because i found a ms v2.2 with daughter board that i am interested in but still have no idea what exactly i SHOULD get and what all i will need inside the ecu weather it be v2.2, 3.0, 3.57... i dont know yet... still trying to research it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you look at them there are a couple differences. The one I have is the 3.5 board . This one has surface mount components so you cant make changes to the board in the future easy( example i needed to remove a resistor for the sensors which was not easy). So its kind of use what you bought but you do not have to assemble anything. The other two have normal components so you can change items easier on the board and there is a spot to add extra items for upgrades if you want to make them. On this I guess its do you want, or will you want to make changes to the board if not go the easy 3.5 route if not then the other. The 3.0 board has more features so it would seem to go with that one if you do want to build or change your board.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
You CAN get any of them...any version can control fuel and spark...just the newer models have more features...I ran a KL turbo'd with ms1 for a while, even drove it daily for about 6 months, any of them CAN do it, just newer can do it and a little more...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Sorry Franky2Toes I can't answer your question without more information, crank trigger/sensor wiring? how many wires does it use? does it come with pinout information?
Normally a crank wheel sensor has 3 wires, one positive 5 to 12Volt power supply, one ground and one signal/pulse wire that goes to the ECU.
MegaSquirt Engine Management & Fuel Injection by DIYAutoTune.com
Are usually quite helpful.

But I would start by searching online for the sensor you are trying to wire up.
You should be able to find the wiring pinout (which wire does what).
The power requirements (voltage 0-12 v, amperage from milliamps to amps).
The return signal type (Digital or analog, volts or millivolts or Ohms).
The return signal range (0-5V, 0-X millivolts, or 0 to 15 Ohms or others).

Running both nitrous and methanol is kinda pointless, just pick your poison. If you run a wet shot it'll have the same cooling effect on your intake manifold that you'll get from spraying methanol.
I have to correct this statement or at least complete it.
The cooling effect is true but you forget the octane ratting gains from water meth, the extra boost and timing water meth allows will be present when adding nitrous oxide. (timing compensated for nitrous).

You can run more boost on higher octane fuel.
You can run more Nitrous Oxide on higher octane fuel.
You Can't run more boost simply on Nitrous oxide.

Therefore Nitrous Oxide is just like forcing more cold air into the engine.
Water/Methanol is more octane points with the added feature of cooling charge air and making it absorbe fuel better..

Water Metanol has the same effect as the octane increase and the intercooler however has the ability of cooling charge air temps below ambient temperature when added to an intercooler.
Tuning car on water meth then running nitrous without water meth would be like tuning on premium octane and an intercooler but running 87octane and no intercooler because your adding nitrous.

As a matter of fact an engine tuned on water meth and 92 octane fuel, lets say the tune uses 2040cc/min of fuel and 400cc/min of water-meth, you add a 100 wet shot of nitrous and the fuel jet delivers 1pint in 59seconds or 481cc/min.
That's a 42.4 % increase in fuel, you would increase base fuel pressure to maintain peak fuel pressure at 42.4% more flow, pull timing appropriate to the nitrous amount being run and should increase water-meth by 42.4 percent or 170cc to maintain the octane rating boost and timing are tuned to and fine tune from that point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts