Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
380 Posts
It sounds like you have become fond of this car in a short period of time. I replaced my spark plug wires last month, and as you mentioned they smoothed out the engine a tiny bit. When you get the timing exact, the engine is very smooth. Mileage around 25 mpg. With time and enough tools, I have been able to figure out most things on this car. One item I have not been able to correct is the fuel gauge does not show the correct amount of fuel. It can't be the instrument panel, as I have tried 2 different ones with the same result. Fuel pump replaced not long ago. I would have no idea how to trace a wire from the wires that clip into the back of the instrument panel.

I had a KLZE engine for a while, and went back to a KLDE. The KLZE has more of a feeling of effortless power, while the KLDE is more fun to drive with, especially around the 40 to 75 mph range.

· Registered
380 Posts
The KLDE is more fun for me as you still get some climbing sensation as it increases revs and reaches speed. With the KLZE engine it was effortless power. I guess that is good is you want to go faster. Kind of like the supercars now that reach 60 mph in 3 seconds. I replaced the fuel pump a short time ago, as sometimes the car will cut out completely going around a corner fast and a few other symptoms of a bad fuel pump. The fuel gauge was bad at this time also.....but still moved around and had current. Since they attached the fuel sender to the new fuel pump, I thought that would have solved any problems there in the fuel tank....but no change to the fuel gauge....but a lot better with the new fuel pump.

· Registered
380 Posts
From the photo, the # 4 cylinder wire sure looks like it is on the middle prong of the distributor cap, where it should be on the one at the front. And the # 5 wire looks like it is on the front, and should be on the middle.

4 5 3 and 6 1 2

· Registered
380 Posts
Note I have seen some Millenia that have the configuration front to back 5 4 6 on top of the distributor, and 1 2 3 on the bottom. They have the 2.5 l v6 engine, but the Millenia wasn't around until 1999 or so. The Haynes manual for the 1993 to 1997 MX6 shows 4 5 3 on top and 6 1 2 on the bottom. Who knows, maybe both work ? It's the same engine.

· Registered
380 Posts
This is going to sound odd. I put in this replacement engine a while back, and had some photos when it first arrived at the shop. Sure enough, it has the distributor cap markings 5 4 6 we have been talking about. I don't see distributor cap markings on earlier distributors. When the shop put in the engine, they put in a new distributor, but it was the old style with the 4 5 3 configuration. I guess it can run on either one, as it has been running fine since installation, 23 mpg, smooth running. I think I will buy one of the newer distributors that has the 5 4 6 markings on the distributor cap, install it, and see what happens.

· Registered
380 Posts
Did you install a functioning EGR that has no water cooling system.....or a non functioning EGR with no water cooling ? Why didn't you put in a regular EGR that makes use of the water cooling ?

· Registered
380 Posts
Sounds like you are really coming around to the MX-6 side. You are right about the stable speed and the railroad like tracking ability. The layout and contouring of the dash is excellent too, and how it recedes away from you. I was considering an Audi TT for quite a while, as I find the shape and detailing wonderful. However the dash is one of those straight vertical ones, and the one reason I did not buy one of those.

· Registered
380 Posts
It was given the name "poor mans Porsche" in some of the media publications, which is fair and unfair. Fair because to come up with the idea it needs to be compared to a Porsche is complimentary. Unfair because it is not meant to have the muscle of the much more expensive cars. One summary said when driving the MX-6, I don't imagine myself driving a F! race car. But I do imagine I am driving the pace car for an F1 race. That seems to be about right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts