Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Hunter Green LS 5-Speed
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
From the photo, the # 4 cylinder wire sure looks like it is on the middle prong of the distributor cap, where it should be on the one at the front. And the # 5 wire looks like it is on the front, and should be on the middle.

4 5 3 and 6 1 2
It's 5-4-6 from front to back on the top of the distributor cap. The car runs perfectly fine. Maybe yours has a different distributor orientation?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Note I have seen some Millenia that have the configuration front to back 5 4 6 on top of the distributor, and 1 2 3 on the bottom. They have the 2.5 l v6 engine, but the Millenia wasn't around until 1999 or so. The Haynes manual for the 1993 to 1997 MX6 shows 4 5 3 on top and 6 1 2 on the bottom. Who knows, maybe both work ? It's the same engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The Haynes manual I have for 1993 to 2001 MX6 is 4 5 3 front to back on top of the distributor.
Yeah I have the same diagram on mine, but I went with the numbers molded into the distributor cap itself. 5-4-6 on top and 1-2-3 on bottom. The Haynes manual covers a lot of model years and there were a lot of changes throughout the model run, especially the OBD1 to OBD2 switch in '96.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This is going to sound odd. I put in this replacement engine a while back, and had some photos when it first arrived at the shop. Sure enough, it has the distributor cap markings 5 4 6 we have been talking about. I don't see distributor cap markings on earlier distributors. When the shop put in the engine, they put in a new distributor, but it was the old style with the 4 5 3 configuration. I guess it can run on either one, as it has been running fine since installation, 23 mpg, smooth running. I think I will buy one of the newer distributors that has the 5 4 6 markings on the distributor cap, install it, and see what happens.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My (meager) literature collection:
Tire Wheel Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

• The owner's manual & warranty info are a given.
  • The glossy model-specific brochure I picked up on eBay. Very impressed with the quality and packaging; it's immaculate.
  • The 1995 Mazda model range brochure I actually got firsthand all the way back in '95 (I was 16) at an auto show in downtown Raleigh, NC. I have '95 brochures for Saab, Buick and a few others from the same show as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Another pic from the (brief) photoshoot on Sunday evening. A little higher angle this time:
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

Drove her to work these past couple of days. She's doing great! I broke out my old cassettes. Rocking out to some vintage Steve Winwood and Paul Simon (wow; I just dated myself, lol).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Old and busted:
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Bumper

New hotness:
Automotive lighting Car Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive design

(yes, I know I need to recover the door insert)

Door cups/pulls are NLA, so I modeled mine in SolidWorks with the help of calipers and had a coworker 3D print it in PETG.

Need to sand it and hit it with some SEM paint (exact color TBD), but it fits perfectly. More pics:
Rectangle Wood Flooring Electronic device Font

Luggage and bags Bag Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Musical instrument

Rectangle Food Wood Tints and shades Box

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Code 16-related EGR light is gone for good. So the coolant lines to the valve are bypassed, and yesterday and today I finally found a pair of 1/2" plugs ($2.50 each from Tractor Supply) to fit in the ports. Hooked the valve's vacuum line back up, so it opens and closes as it should and reassures the sensor that it's working "properly" (hence no code), but otherwise it doesn't do anything at all.
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Vehicle

She's really coming into her own. I drove her to work 4 out of the 5 days last week, and did about 60 miles today. Still needs new struts, especially front left, but otherwise she drives beautifully. Engine is as smooth as can be.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I installed a EGR unit with water cooling a few weeks ago, but the diaphragm failed and let coolant into the exhaust. So rather than shell out $450 for another EGR unit, I just blocked it out of the system. The vacuum line is attached so the sensor reads the valve opening (hence no code), but the coolant lines are capped off and pipe removed and capped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Got a set of window regulator bushings from Sidney in FL:
Plant Food Ingredient Automotive tire Tree

$25 shipped, lightning fast shipping. Can't beat that.

Installed using my bench vise (love that thing) and a curated selection of sockets:
Wood Gas Household hardware Auto part Machine

Haven't yet had the chance to reassemble everything, but I should be able to tonight. Excited.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Got everything reassembled, and everything works great. Door closes with a nice thunk now where before it was kind of tinny.

Got some dollies for the Z so I could fit the '6 in the garage:
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Should've done this YEARS ago... It'll be so nice to not have to get into a 25° car in the morning this coming winter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Not a true MX6 fan.
At least I'm enough of an MX-6 fan to spell the model name correctly. ;)😂

I had them both up for sale, and the E46 sold instead, so Megumi will stay for the time being. Very sad to see the E46 go; it was much better at doing car things (going, turning, stopping, etc), than the MX-6, at least in her current state. She'll be getting a host of new parts in the coming weeks which will hopefully bring her more into focus.

For now, here she is, freshly washed and reporting for sole daily driver duty starting tomorrow morning:
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Waiting for parts to come in, did a little "housekeeping" after the bath. The windshield washer tank looked grody:
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Wood

There appears to be a pinkish float inside the tank for some reason, and I guess it was disintegrating and discoloring the neck:
Gas Wood Automotive wheel system Metal Auto part

Tableware Dishware Cup Plate Drinkware

I pulled it out with some needle-nose pliers and used a toothbrush and Simple Green to remove as much of the stain as I could:
Light Automotive tire Tire Wheel Floor

Looks much better now:
Hood Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive exterior Vehicle

Satisfying job.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Well, I had to go with Plan B as far as the headunit is concerned. My first choice was the Blaupunkt Bremen, but that's $450 for the headunit alone, so it'll have to wait.

In the meantime, on the recommendation of a gentleman over on the MX-6 FB group, I got a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X304:
Vehicle Car Light Motor vehicle Steering part

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

It's not perfect, but it's not too flashy either. It's definitely a HUGE step up from the OEM headunit in terms of audio and functionality and should serve me well as I continue to upgrade the audio.

Most importantly, the display color is extremely variable, and "Aqua2" (dimmed a bit) matches the OEM lighting pretty well:
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle door

Measuring instrument Gauge Audio equipment Gadget Multimedia

Given my checkered history with car audio upgrades, I was pretty proud of my install. Everything is properly crimped, with heat-shrink tubing, and I was able to drill and tap the little heat sink at the rear of the headunit to accept the stock rubber "finger" that interfaces with the dash framework. Clean, solid and organized.

Can't wait for the new struts (among other things) to come in this weekend...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Two front struts and peripheral bits arrived today. That'll be a weekend project, but I was able to get two parts on the car earlier.

Headlights:
Fluid Automotive lighting Liquid Toy Magenta

Automotive lighting Plant Sky Tints and shades Landscape

Not great but they're a slight improvement. Compared to my old E46's factory xenons, these halogens are a definite step backward, but projectors will have to wait for a set of E- or J-Spec lenses one day, I think.

New intake boot to replace the rock-hard previous piece:
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Automotive wheel system Cylinder

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Cannot wait to get the new struts on.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts