Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

microtech?

747 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  my4isrobs 
#1 ·
are any of you guys running a microtech?

if so, how much did it roughly end up costing you to purchase, install and tune.. (if you dont want to disclose figures, a rough indication would really be appreciated).

if in melb, where did you guys get it done?

what other aftermarket management are you guys running?

#2 ·
I'm also interested in this. I was looking at a powerchip or a chip from chiptorque for around $600-$700 but it seems you lose things such as your knock sensor and cold starts.

So I am most likely going to get a an ECU from unichip which I have been told will cost about $1500 all up, or perhaps $1000 if I manage to buy a second hand unit that is compatible.

Any info from someone that has actually done it though would be great!

#3 ·
Do not chip it is a waste of time if you get something done you get it done right.

I am running a HALTECH E6K (E6X) which is awsome, for one of these you would be looking at 1500 to buy and 1000 - 1500 to install and tune but well worth it. :D

#4 ·
thanks scrubbo,

i didnt realise that install + tune would set me back so much.

i dont think there is much difference b/w haltech and microtech, but would anybody like to clear this up for me?

going aftermarket management is just a thought for now, but its something i really need. hopefully by christmas i'll have the money lying around to look into it further.

also, how long would i be 'car-less' for?... i know antons car has been at microtech for a while, but thats fair enough, its quite an exceptional case.

#5 ·
on average the installation and tuning will take 3-5 days(more depends on drammas, and the work load of the place..... as well as sometimes due to Microtech)

anytime more then stock power requred AMM should be first thing to buy. while bolt-ons will give you something stock management will never be as flexible as AMM, as well as AMM will give you more power for thesame boltons(tuning dependable).

#7 ·
thanks anton.

2bad - i really need AMM because my car is sooooo out of tune at the moment.. i think it spits fuel out the exhaust in the low revs, and when the t28 is hitting boost cut, im thinking that it could possibly be leaning out!

i also want to go map sensor!

as for saving money, cars cost alot - they always will. something u really gotta think about before modding your car... i learnt it the hard way, but theres no going back now.

#8 ·
Hi Guys,

I have had 2 vehicles with Microtech. They are f*cking excellent for the $$ they cost....

They are quick to install (my brother who is by no means a mechanic or sparky did it in a day and it fired first go), typically about $1K, and reasonably flexible.

The only negative comment is that they are a little tricky to get right for drivability, but I am sure thats because I have always tuned it myself :)

Absolutely no probs extracting a tonne of power over stock ecu even with modded chips - and for the price of some chips, I'd rather just get the Microtech.

I'm a fan because of bang/buck.

Oh, and I am in no way affiliated with them in any way shape or form.... lol

Pete.

#9 ·
Does the microtech replace the wiring harness?? ie. it comes with plugs for injectors, coil, air flow meter, etc...

I have been considering this option for a while but Ive always been a carby man up until the van, so im still learning the electronic side of things.:D

#10 ·
Things I've noticed about full AMM and chips.

Chiptorque

$1000 to buy, install, tune, bleed valve.
$150 per hr to retune with any new mods...
Minimal places can retune, with about a 4week wait.
Keeps all the stock ECU stuff for A/C, cold start etc...
Easy to go back to stock if req.

Can only truely map up to around 7psi, from there it is a simple guess on how much fuel to add.... so if you run at 9psi and it is tuned at 15psi then the engine will run really rich until you put your foot down etc....

AMM (Haltech E6K)

$1500 to buy (sensors etc)
$1500+ to install and tune
$150 /hr to return. A lot more places can retune.
Re maps everything from cold start, A/C etc.
Can be used as a turbo timer etc....
Can truely map up to some rediculous boost that we will never use. And therefore you get a lot more power up in boost since it can remap the fuel alot more accurately.
A lot harder to go back to stock.

Personally, if I could go back in time I would get an E6k or similar, but it is just that much more expensive.... It all depends on the money.

Definately if I no longer had the stock turbo I would be getting a chip at the very least.... I'm surprised your car is still running.

Tripharn

#11 ·
i didnt realise it costs so much to install and tune the haltech.

id hope that its justified!

#13 ·
My Tx5 runs a microtech and it is great bang/buck indeed. Purchasing directly through microtech is $1095.. fitting is straight forward.. has all the instructions included and for tuning i recommend chiptorque..they do a great job. my last tune cost me only $150.

If you would rather not fit it yourself give mazspint a call at Virginia.. they quoted my mate $300 to fit one to his gen1 mx6.
They take about 3 hours to fit..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.