Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just bought a pair of 6" jl audio evolution speakers from my friend for 20 bucks that are practicly new. well anyway i put them in the front and screwed them in just 2 holes. There is a big gap on the side because obviously they arent 6x8. Do i need to fill that hole to make it sound better or does it even matter? Also im going to get a pair of 5x7 jl audio evolutions as soon as i get money. should i put those in front and put the 6" in back or should i keep the 6" in front and put the 5x7 in rear? I am also buying my friends jl audio 150 amp 2 channels in a bit. I think im going to hook it up to the front speakers so i get a better sound up there. what do you think? Also, i have a 10" kicker comp vr in the trunk with a kicker 400.1 amp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to put something there, perhaps MDF.

There are sound waves that come out of the back of the speaker. For proper sound they need to have a certain size area to bounce around in. With car speakers it's fairly easy because most of them aren't designed to require large enclosures (except for some of the big subwoofers)

Having the speaker in too big of an enclosure or in an enclosure with large holes in it will probably give you "muddy" bass.

I think that's somewhat close to being correct...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
or you can put the 5x7's in custom kickpanels,, for mids and highs and use those 6's as midbass drivers in your doors,,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive got the JL 6.5" midbass drivers (bi-amped) in my well deadened doors. The midbass is awesome this way! Leave the back speakers out, usually they are redundant with a good front stage. I made this mistake and am now considering what to do with my back speakers. Might try running a seperate tweet on the A pillar off an extra amp channel or move them into my truck to go along with those super cheap Vifa midbass drivers I just got.

The suggestion for MDF baffle to seal the install is essential, as is sound deadening (esp if you amp it, which you should do). If you want a killer front stage, do what jaejw1 suggests, build custom kick panels (if I can do it anyone can....) and do the midbass in the doors. If you read up on bi-amping, you may wish to get a 4 channel amp and perhaps an active Xover before the amp. This results in amazing clean signal and wonderful midbass and effectively doubles your amp's power output.

Prost!

Starkbier

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
First of all, which Evolutions are these? TR? VR? XR?

If you're def buying both sets and wanna keep it simple, put the 5x7's in front powered by the amp, and put the 6's in back on baffles powered by the deck (preferably with caps to cut the bass).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts