Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Mike, the people at Jet Chips said they are actually going to mail a dyno plot to me. I don't know if this was one of the places you said gave you the run-around. We'll have to see if they actually do and what the dyno looks like (how bad they fudged it). But when I get it, I'll scan it and put it up for a good laugh.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Well, I must say it's somewhat alarming seeing my nick as a subject!

Anyway, I searched my archives and came up with just two of the several correspondences with Jet. First is my initial request for the plots:

Hi,

On your web site you indicate that the Mazda MX6 (V6 I assume) with your chip upgrade gets up to 18HP:

"MX3 & MX6, Probe 15-18 (MX6 is on high side of 18+ hp)"

I'm naturally dubious. Do you have dyno (say, Dynojet) plots showing before and after gains? If not, how was the 18HP verified?

How much does the upgrade cost? Is the chip available to buy separately? My PCM already has the PROM socketed so I don't need to send the PCM to Jet to have the chip installed.

After a couple more contacts and emails, this one was sent by me:

[email protected] wrote:
>
> Received: Thu Feb 24 15:16:56 2000
> From: [email protected]
> Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:13:57 EST
> To: [email protected]
>
> We use a "TRUE
> DYNO" not a DynoJET which is actually a accelerometer, we have a mustang
> chassis dyno, you can get faxed a copy of the dyno sheet by calling
> 800-535-1161 and ask for Jesse Pranskius tell him dan sent ya. He works
> over in the tech dept and can fax you one right away

Dan,

I've called Jesse several times but have yet to receive any plots,
almost a month later. He told me they couldn't find them (!) but that
he'd ask his boss where they were. I haven't heard anything back since.

Are these plots really available?

>
> dan

--
Mike

And I never did get anything. I sure hope you have better luck than I did. If/when you do get them, be sure to put them somewhere we can scrutinize it/them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's what I got. You never know if they will actually send me anything though.

You claim a gain of 18 HP for my car. Can you provide me with a dyno plot that shows these numbers?

Thanks,
Jeff
>>>
Sure, where would you like us to send it to.

Thank You,
Donnie @ JET

And I gave her my address.
At least they didn't tell me that fax bullcrap.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Mike you probably scared them off by letting them know that you are very knowledgable about the motors.

Which makes you wonder about their claims about the 18hp.

will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
***UPDATE***

I have yet to receive a dyno plot from these people. I guess it just goes to show that their chip does not live up to their claims. If I had a chip that gave 18+ HP, I would be sending dynos to everyone who was interested.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
bigjeff said:
***UPDATE***

I have yet to receive a dyno plot from these people. I guess it just goes to show that their chip does not live up to their claims. If I had a chip that gave 18+ HP, I would be sending dynos to everyone who was interested.
Disappointing to be sure, but not wholly unexpected.

And you're right: if there really was 18HP to be had from this mod, you can be damn sure the world would know about it.

Check out http://www.interpreptuning.com and go to their 2.5L Mazda V6 section (under Racing Engines I think). Look at how much work they did to that engine, airflow wise, and look at the resulting HP numbers... Makes you wonder how JET et al can, in all good conscience, advertise such drivel as 18HP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts