Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a stock int. kl03 and i was looking into rebuliding it with some after market parts. i wanted to port and polish the heads, put new rods and pistons in, (bore) the throttlebody, and air manifold. i know there is alot more, but cna u give me some prices on parts and where to get them from, and brand is a good brand. i have seen JE piston, mazda speed piston. help me out man thanks alot. and when i do this i was going to put on a header. i have intake and exhaust, so how much hp could be gained with this. thanks alot man

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
riceater6 said:
i have a stock int. kl03 and i was looking into rebuliding it with some after market parts. i wanted to port and polish the heads, put new rods and pistons in, (bore) the throttlebody, and air manifold. i know there is alot more, but cna u give me some prices on parts and where to get them from, and brand is a good brand. i have seen JE piston, mazda speed piston. help me out man thanks alot. and when i do this i was going to put on a header. i have intake and exhaust, so how much hp could be gained with this. thanks alot man
Well, head work can be pricey, depending on what is done. If you restrict the work to opening/cleaning up the ports and doing a 3-angle valve job, look at spending maybe $US500 on the heads. If you start welding material etc, that figure can easily double. Any reputable machine shop should be able to do this. If you can, locate one that has experience in small displacement multi-valve motors.

Pistons and rods...hmmm. There's not much out there that I personally know of. JE or Wiseco might make replacement pistons, and they may be forged even. If you go the forged route, expect the engine to be significantly noisier on cold start-up. As for rods, you might canvass Crower. I doubt you'll find much out there though. See if you can locate anything from the now-defunct (I think) Probe Industries, who made the stroker kit for the KL03. They must have had someone making their parts for them...

Boring the TB to 65mm will run you may $100 and is worth it IMHO.

The OEM intake is a tough animal. The VRIS is pretty finicky. Still, there's alot of room for improvement in there. Check out Extrude Hone to see if they've done a KL03 manifold before. They may not touch it, but it's worth a try. They ain't cheap though. The same shop that ports your heads could probably look into cleaning up the intake too.

I couldn't even hazard a HP estimate. If you went with, say, 10.5:1, opened the ports & manifold up, put good headers on it and thought about more aggressive cams, 210HP (crank) isn't unreasonable to think about.

If you plan on staying normally aspirated, before putting that much into the KL03 though, consider the KLZE: it's already at 200HP with far superior intake manifolding, better cams, 10:1 compression etc. You'd have to rig up an EGR and really should consider getting the PCM re-programmed for the KLZE VRIS points etc, but I think that'd be a route to also consider.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks man, u helped me out alot. thanks alot. how much would a more agressive run in teh price range, where woudl i look for them at. do u know of any web sites. does anybody else on here have any ideas, thanks alot. and let me ask, on the throttle body, woudl does boreing that work out when u run it to the opening on the airmanifold?????

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
riceater6 said:
thanks man, u helped me out alot. thanks alot. how much would a more agressive run in teh price range, where woudl i look for them at. do u know of any web sites. does anybody else on here have any ideas, thanks alot. and let me ask, on the throttle body, woudl does boreing that work out when u run it to the opening on the airmanifold?????
Go to http://www.interpreptuning.com/

Check out the special section they have on the Mazda 2.5L V6. Good stuff to see :)

Boring the TB to 65mm presents no mating problems to the manifold whatsoever. The opening in the manifold is way bigger than the 60- or 65-mm bore of the TB. Check out my web site. Under "Dyno Charts" is a test showing the before and after test of a 65mm TB on a 1995 PGT. The first run was made with the OEM 60mm unit, and, while the car was still on the rollers, the 65mm was swapped in and the car run again. Pretty good results...

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
order a catalog from paeco...they have everything performance wise! pistons, rods, head packages, everything! anyways, its [email protected] email em and theyll send you a catalog. i think you should go with the J-spec manifold, it has bigger ports, better flow and comes with a bigger throttle body (right?).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts