Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. as you guys know by now, im looking to buy a new MTX '6.
im just curious on how many km's everyone has on their engines and what things needed replacing/broke.

ill start it off:

150,000km - water pump, thermostat housing, lots of little things like dissy seals, gaskets, sensors etc.

basically im looking for the round-about "cut-off" of mileage where our cars start running into serious problems, cause i have a feeling the previouds owner of my car thrashed it somethin bad which is why all the seals dryed up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
266000Km - nothing but a bit of oil seepage through the rocker cover and head gasket.
But thats if your just talking about the engine diffs gearboxes and driveshafts are a different issue but that might have something to do with have double factory power :)

oo yeah i ahve burnt out two coils as well but thats no biggie.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
340000kms. water pump, VCG, Exhaust studs, 2 CV's & my ashtray could do with a clean.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ur car must have been in next to perfect nick when u bought it crusty. good on ya for keeping it this long :)

hopefully i can find one that good :)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
To be honest, I've never been all that happy with the ashtray. :eek:)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahaha
take out the ashtray and put in some guages in the gap ...there u go, problem solved. :)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
From what I've seen these cars last really well. I drove a '90 Turbo 626 when I was looking for my car that looked absolutely hammered on the outside with scratches, a few dings and sun-damage. Engine wise looks as if it had been treated to minimal maintanence. 350000kms on the clock.... but it still pulled really really hard.... that was with a replacement exhaust that looked even more restrictive than stock!

A car with a full-service history and driver history is solid Gold though. This is what you want.

Check the exterior and interior condition. A good looking car is more likely to have been mechanically looked after.

If you dont know histories I suggest you drive around as many of the model as possible. Then you can tell what's been abused and what hasn't.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I've owned my car since 160,000kms, now shes at 180,000kms

Prior to buying it, the the previous owner put in:
New clutch, radiator, tyres, brake pads, timing belt.

Since in my possesion:
TB Boot, alternator, starter motor, manifold gasket, dizzy cap, front/rear swaybar endlink bushes and minor small parts for servicing.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what should i expect from a mx6 MTX that is in really good condition?? should i get wheel spin off the mark? wheel spin in 1st/2nd/maybe 3rd even? should i hear the turbo spooling with stock everything?

·
Registered
304 Posts
you'll wheelspin in 1st, spin in 2nd if you smash it into gear, 3rd would be pretty unlikely, you'll hear the turbo spool when it comes onto boost around 2500 - 3000 rpm, on a night or quiet day. Don't go thrashing the mtx though, especially when you modify it, they put out a lot of torque.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Got a 626 turbo manual - 271 000 on da clock. One owner full log book history. Was completely stock when i bought - old ppl owned (how lucky was I).

things i've replaced -

- Wheel bearings
- Clutch (only because when i got the exhaust the clutch plate couldnt handle the extra power)
- Throttle body rubber pipe thingy (the rubber thing that goes from like 4" into 2", costs your right testicle!!)
- Full suspension - springs, shocks, front camper kit, rear swaybar
- rubber pipe from top of the turbo to the intercooler (costs ur other testicle!!)

Thats about it, Watch the second gear, thats the thing thats goes on many manuals that have been thrashed.

Good Luck

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what are the signs of bad wheel bearings?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Bought: 102,500
Now: 127,000 roughly

Replaced: Timing belt, water pump, distributor/ignitor module, rear brake pads, all 4 tyres, coolant hose, antenna mast, front badge. Doesn't burn any oil.
Has a few minor niggly problems but starts first time every time.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
bought 80,000k's exactly 10 years old and 3 month complied when I bought it now
129,000kms on it.
I've just done typical servicing to it.
Wagon New in 92 built 01 oct imported early october displayed
Looked at it in early November on roof of Canterbury Mazda
then comlied in November for our test drive, December it was ours. Only back luck with it has been a 16 year with no licence hitting it, treee jumping out onto the road doing rear glass, Head cracked due to? everything else standard issue. New Mags only mod to it

When I mean everything
Auto rebuilt
hoses all replaced -every single one
Air-con fixed or regassed both on R134
both had exhuast replaced ( 80% on wagon still runs factory rear)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts