Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone know that the LS V6 engine generally can run how many miles?? Can it run over 200K? Right now my LS have 155k. I just want to know when will i need to rebuild it! And also anyone rebuild their engine before? How much $$ ?? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The KL V6, despite having a somewhat noise-prone valvetrain (cam gears, HLAs etc), is quite a solid engine. If it's treated to regular oil changes every 3-5000 miles and is not overheated, it should last well beyond 200K miles without becoming a low-power, oil-burning mess.

Re rebuilds: scheduling a rebuild shouldn't be done by the odometer; wait till it needs it. If you are doing the plugs one day, do a compression test. Keep track of oil consumption and spark plug condition. Listen for noises that develop as the miles go by, note any performance changes etc. When the compression drops, power output falls (and it's proven not to be caused by the usual suspects plugs/wires/filters/sensors etc), oil consumption goes up etc, think about looking into a rebuild then. Better yet, if you don't plan to keep the car long enough to re-coup the cost of a rebuild, look into low-miles used engines in wreckers yards or perhaps a J-spec drop-in. If you eventually go the used motor route, try to find one from something like a 626 automatic...a motor which hasn't likely led the hard life a KL in a Probe GT or MX6 has probably lived :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
ErgonTe - Probe/626/MX6 FAQ

That site has almost all you need to know about your engine. I'd also suggest if it comes to the point where you need a rebuild, I would get a J-Spec (KLZE) instead. You can get yours used, what I here usually about 40k on them, for under $2,500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts