Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when my car has been off for a while it misfires for like the first five minutes that it's running. if i try to take it past half throttle it just falls on its ass. it also idles about 600 rpms higher, and then drops down to normal after running for 6-8 minutes.

so i took it to a mechanic who i thought knew what he was doing. he said i needed

-injector cleaner BULL**** i floor my car about ever 2 seconds my injectors are not clogged at all
-fuel filter - ok so i replaced it since its only like 10 bucks
- plug wires - i put new msd plug wires on
disty cap/rotor - bought new one of each

i also just got done changing my valve cover gaskets. all that maintenance ended up being a 2 day project because i stripped out the threads on my fuel rail by accident, and had to track down another one, disconnect the intake manifold again, and put the new rail on.

ok thats beside the point. i did all this work, spent all this money and my car is still misfiring!!!

who has any friggin idea what is wrong?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Are you still using the 03 disty? It could be the ignitor...The little transister inside the disty.

See if you can borrow someones to see if that solves the problem. When my homemade ignitor (for MSD) started to fail, it did just what you said.

I don't think this is it, but have you checked the spark plugs?

It's not easy to diagnose cars, so it's even harder to do it over the web.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
have you had the engine compression checked? my engine ran like that when i blew a headgasket. i doubt you have that problem since you dont have other symtoms like burning coolant, do you?? but you could have a worn out valve spring, or the timing belt slipped on one cylinder bank or something.

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
man i sure hope its not anything internal with my engine. i'm almost positive that my head gaskets are fine because i blew my heads about 8 months ago and the motor was under warranty so i got brand new heads and a gasket set from them.

haven't noticed any burning coolant. how is that evident?

also, with the timing. isn't there a way to like, set the engine at 0, and count the timing?

if its the disty i may be in luck. i think my friend has another one. i was thinking that may be it. i replaced the cap and rotor on it, but the actual distributor has a crack in it. come to think of it, that could very well be it, but the thing that throws me off is, usually when a distrubutor is going out it will malfunction after it warms up. my car only messes up when its not been running for 5 hours or more.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
if its burning coolant you'll be able to swell a sweet antifreeze smell from the exhaust.

to check the timing, set the engine to TDC(top dead center) and check to make sure the timing marks line up, but that requires removing the timing belt cover. or you can do a compression test

if theres a disty u can swap in go ahead and try that, if yours has a crack in it, expanding and contracting, may be the cause of it running good/bad

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Aussomea said:

if theres a disty u can swap in go ahead and try that, if yours has a crack in it, expanding and contracting, may be the cause of it running good/bad
Thats a good point I didnt think of. Things expand when heated.

Also, I just noticed the "won't cure itself" part of the title. I think everyone is just jealous that my car has healed itself. Hell, I expect that by mid spring it'll be down to 35 thousand miles with perfect unblemished paint.

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i highly doubt it's the iac... that doesn't really cause ignition problems right? when my friend steve is back in town from new orleans i'm going to steal his disty. problem is all the mx-6s locally are 93-94.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts