Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don’t know if anyone remembers? A while back I posted a thread here about me J-Spec MX6 that cutout on me on a couple of occasions and then wouldn’t start at all one day.

Well anywhooo, thanks to the clever cloggs on this forum I had narrowed it down to the Distributor. (Which apparently, is a common fault with the MX6’s) I had to get replaced, the Module inside the Distributor along with the Rotor Arm which eventually got it started.

Anywhooo, since then my MX6 has been misfiring when idle (RPM needle jumps up and down a little) and occasionally “jerks” when driving. It also feels like to me, when I press down on the accelerator the car revs and gradually catches speed. Before I had the problem with the Distributor, when I put my foot down on the accelerator MX6 practically RAN instantly! One last thing I had noticed with me MX6 is that, it consumes that bit more petrol than it used to do.

Here is what I have done so far, which I was hoping to resolve the misfiring and jerking…A new Cambelt, Fanbelt, Distributor Cap, six new spark plugs and a new set of HT leads fitted. Still misfiring. My final conclusion is that, the timing had messed up when work was carried on the Distributor.

Anyone has any other opinion????

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Hi Bloomin, Your last sentence is what i was thinking whilst reading your post. Whenever you disturb the distributor from its set 'timed' postition, you will have re-set it. If you need information on carrying out the timing process just shout.

Oddy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oddy!

Nice one mate. Yeah, if you could point us in the right direction of how to reset the TIMING, that would be appreciated.

Nice one again...

Bloomin18

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Ok, You need to jump pins GND & TEN to disengage the ecu and stop it interferring with your setting. Once done, attach timing light to no.1 spark plug lead and point it at the timing marks on the crankshaft pully. You should be able to see the little notch in the pully and this should be lined up with the 10 degree marker, if not, slacked distributor just enough to enable stiff movement and adjust accordingly. Once set on 10, tighten the distributor bolts and check again the timing, it may have moved slightly when you tighened the bolts. Once happy, stop motor, remove jumper from GND & TEN and start again. The ecu will now do its bit. If not already done, i would also suggest you reset the ECU by disconnecting the neg battery and pressing the brake peddle for 15 seconds or so then re-connect the battery lead.. start car, take her for a run if you wish. Upon return, check again for any possible new codes.

Oddy.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To: Tex_Mx

Yeah, the coil is seperate. I completely forgot about that one. D'oh! Haven't replaced it. Where can one get a ht lead for the coil to the Distributor?

What about the coil? Is there away of testing wherthere it's "breaking down"? Or what I might do is, have the Timing set first of all. Of that doesn't resolve the misfire and jerking, then look into having the coil ht lead replaced and a new coil.

Nice one...

Bloomin18

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To: Oddball

Nice one mate. Sounds pretty straight forward however, I don't have the tools to do that. Think I may have to get it set by someone. Are you local to Birmingham? (Ooh wait, it says Kent in your brief profile) Lol! I am willing to pay a little for the trouble.

Nice one...

Bloomin18

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Timing lights arn't expensive, but dont get one of the silly neon jobbies... you want a xenon one that powers from the battery..
and then its a spanner or small socket wrench.... nothing special..

and to be clever... charge neighbours a fiver to "check" their timing... the light will pay for itself :E

John

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Errm.. yeah Bloomin m8.. its is a little out of my way }) lol .. Otherwise i would have happily done so for you.
and a good mention by Tex there too about your coil lead, maybe change that before doing the timing. Coils tend to break down, as in missing / not providing the source, when at high revs and they are under load. I've had a little search for any info on the ZE coils with no luck.

Oddy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Blooming. You should be able to get a coil lead at almost any parts store.Just take your old one with you so you get the right length and ends.

As for checking the coil I'm not sure how,but there should be a way.

Good luck..Roy

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Checking a coil is easy... use a multimeter, and measure the resistance of the primary and secondary coils..

P between the two terminals,
S between the HT output and one of the terminals..

Primary coil is about 0.5 - 0.8 of an ohm (nearly a short)
Secondary is about 9 - 20 Kohms

I don't have the exact figures for a J-spec coil..

Hope this helps...

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts