Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my problem I figured out I need a new strut. Will I be okay with a new cheap ass strut on just ONE wheel and my old need to be replaced struts on the other three. I only plan to do this for 5k miles, MAYBE 10k max. By then I'll get 4 Tonkio Blues. Will the car have any MAJOR problems if I have it set up with one different strut? I knowI shouldn't do it but please tell me if I can get AWAY with it. Thanks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mechanically, I would not think there would be problem.

By the way, what's a new cheap AAS strut? I wasn't aware that there was such a thing.

G

·
Well, heres the deal.

Your AAS struts are old and weak, sticking a strong new strut in one corner will move stress to all the others, as well as the rest of your suspension.

The result? More broken parts.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
just hit up a junk yard, get a decent looking used one, then drive with that for your 5-10k miles and swap all 4 out.

i wouldn;t spend the money to get a brand new strut if your not going to to the other side, and especially if you plan on replacing them all 5k miles later...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I agree with el norm. Get a used one for the time being; then replace them all when you have the time/money. Finding a used aas strut in good condition might be tough though. a non-aas strut would probably work in a pinch. You could also replace both rear struts with new ones. (However, your "broke off my ass" title might indicate a no-go on that. :) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts