Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone compare/contrast these oils?

I find that the Exxon is $1.00 to $1.50 per quart cheaper.

Same company. Are the oils comparable?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mobil 1 = you're probably paying for the reputation, what do they use in Formula 1 racing, what are Corvettes given their factory fill...

I think they're both the same, given everything I've heard at AutoZone. I cant imagine ExxonMobil would go through the trouble of developing a completely different synthetic base to sell a similar product. Given the fact that Mobil 1 was the first commercially successful synthetic, it seems logical someone who wants synthetic would buy that, assuming its the best, and costs the most (excluding Royal Purple, and Redline)

I used to use Castrol Syntec, I think it was the pure synth, not blended... but then my car started changing its own oil (it burns a quart every 1000 miles or so)... So I've stuck to dino juice, cause I can't pay for that much synthetic oil, and synthetic isn't good for a car thats burning a lot of oil, even with no turbo.

They're probably not EXACTLY the same, but very close. If I were going to choose between the two (and I had a mx6 gt) I would go with the Exxon.

How about this...compare the color of the oil after you change it, if they come out exactly the same shade, the detergents and synthetic base should be identical.

G

·
0 Posts
Mobil one was being developed 20 years before exxon and mobil merged. Full Synthetics are all the same in street cars. If you put the motor through extreme use like drag racing in desert like temperatures, then you need to know the chemical differences.

heetseeker151- I don't know how many miles you have on your car but if you switched to synthetic oil and you motor has more than about 50k on it the oil may have caused your leaks. For some reason, synthetic oil makes rubber seals shrink. This causes the oil leaks.

For what it's worth, I have over 236,000 miles on my MX6 and it runs great. It has all of it's oil changes with regular crude petroleum based oil. I even use regular type oil in my other car and that's a real 500 hp race motor. The key is to change the oil regularly (about every 3k miles).

·
Registered
45 Posts
shit, shit, shit...

You've confirmed my belief. Before I started using synth, it barely burned half a quart by 3000 miles. Then, for the next two or three changes, I used Syntec, and I honestly didn't notice much difference in anything. (Maybe I would have kept up with it if my car had fewer miles...) but after that, I went back to using Castrol GTX (natural) and thats when I started to notice it starting to burn oil. Bear in mind, I change my oil about every 6 weeks or so (I put over 25k on it a year) so it wasn't very long since it changed from being an oil sipper- to an oil guzzler. Ah, well, the old beast has treated me well otherwise.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Yeah i have been using mobil 1 and found that it burns(looses???) a fair bit, but not as much as other oils that have been used. Since i last changed the oil i have put about 1.5litres and done about 3000km(1800miles). I think it has slowed down since using the mobil 1, but this may be related to my driving style have changed, as it sees less high rpm work lately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts