Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I am running Semi synthetic oil because I have been told that A full sunthetic willl not burn like semi does and will therefore create a lot of sludge in my combustion chambers on my older engine..... Any help and experience is appreciated...... my engine is at 135K kms or about 100K miles. V6 too.

Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually, switching to a full synthetic will actually help to clean all of the deposits out of your engine (in cetain areas). It will not cause more a buildup in your engine, just in your oil pan, from removing all of the junk in your engine. The Mobil1 (full and true synethetic) oil has many detergents that help to clean your engine out. The non synbthetic oil is what can cause the sludge buildup to happen more frequently. If you really want to clean out your engine good then use Mobil Delvac1. Note that this will not clean out your intake manifold from any deposits in there. For that you will need to do a decarbon procedure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Synthetic oil is a great oil for better protection. It depend how old is your car, and any mechanical problem, like torn piston ring.. etc. If you have any mechanical damage in your engine, synthetic is not recommended. Or else, go ahead and use FULLY-synthetic oil.
update: Caltex fully-synthetic has been reported not good for our engine

note: fully-synthetic oil is not recommended to use in rotary engine(->RX7), even if new.

I will recommend to use Delvac 1 for the first time. (expensive though, but worth it) And use some Fuel Injector Cleaner (I prefer Chevon brand). But remember, you still have to change your oil every 3000 miles, even if fully-synthetic. ( or every 6months or less)

saint: where did you get your Delvac 1? I look through all the shop in my area, Walmart, Kmart, Target, MegaMarket, Sams, AutoZone, CarQuest, ... none of them have it. Did you bought it online?

Mobil Delvac 1 rule!! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rosecuvee, I actually bought my Delvac1 at both a local gas station that specializes in trucking/heavy duty diesel trucks, and at the local Walmart store. I had to ask at the counter for the Delvac1 because they don't seem to carry much and they sell out quick (the price was the same in both places). If you check out the Mobil website I think there is a place on there that will tell you which gas stations will sell the Mobil products in your particular area.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you remember how much you bought for 1 quart or 1 gallan size, or whatever they come ?

Mobil 1 is around $4.5 +/- , how much for Delvac 1 ?
thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
rosecuvee said:
Do you remember how much you bought for 1 quart or 1 gallan size, or whatever they come ?

Mobil 1 is around $4.5 +/- , how much for Delvac 1 ?
thanks
Well, you have to bear in mind that I live in Canada, so you would have to do the conversion back to US dollars for yourself. I can only buy the Delvac1 5W40 in a 4 litre size, not by the litre (or quart on your case). Comparative prices up here are 4 litres of Mobil1 average around $25, the Delvac1 averages around $37 for the same quantity. 1 litre of Mobil1 runs around $5.50 Cdn up here. So, it looks like the Delvac1 costs about 50% more than the regular Mobil1. Now bear in mind that I don't run Delvac1 all the time. I am going to be switching back to Mobil1 on my next oil change. I only plan on using Delvac1 about every 3-4th oil change to help things get cleaned out a little more. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just put in Mobil 1 and I do notice a difference. However I found out that my valve cover gaskets are leaking (Again, it happened 3 years ago). What is a resonable price to get that fixed? The mazda dealer here said about $275, is that too much or is it reasonable?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is a trick, get a quart of mobil 1 auto tranny fluid and put in a few capfulls in every time that you change your oil. the extra detergents in the atf really helps lube your lifters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts