Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have to save up over a period of time before you can do mods to your car, I've got one that's real cheap, and fairly easy to do. We all know that that stupid shifter is way too high. Last Saturday I took a hacksaw to mine. I cut just below the lip that holds the boot up. The shifter is now really low. Shifting is a little notchy, but it has definately inproved the look and feel. Defiately worth doing, if you don't have the cash for a STS yet.

·
Registered
283 Posts
was this done on an auto or a stick

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah...it's not really a short-throw shifter, but it does feel a little shorter due to the lack of height

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it actually shifts better!! I am finding my shifts are more accurate due to the short positioning. I love it! You will have to buy an aftermarket knob, though I don't suggest spending $150 on a MOMO...I think that's a waste of money. I bought a really nice blue aluminum sphere shift knob at Canadian Tire for $25! It's got a great shape, and looks good, while also sticking with the colour theme in my interior. Happy shifting!

G

·
Thanks, Now I'm really thinking about doing this, this weekend! So what would be the dirrerence say between a PRD short shifter and just hacksawing your factory off?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the difference is the throw. With a PRD, the throw (distance between gears/shifting) is shorter by about 25-30%, some more...so it will definatley feel a little shorter, but not as much as installing a PRD. But think of it this way, this costs you nothing, and if you end up getting a STS later down the road, you'd be tossing the stock shifter anyway.

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
I think I saw some post about a guy who did his own short throw shifter. A real STS, I mean by cutting and welding the original shifter. Can't remember name...
Mici
I'm gonna run a search on this...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have done this to my mx6.Even though the throws the same I have a better feel with the shorter height.Most aftermarket knobs fit,just make sure they hold secure.Mine slipped on with a rubber bushing inside with 3 set screws pushing in on it-doesn't budge!

·
Registered
166 Posts
i had this done last year. be advised that u will be cutting off the thread so u'll need an aftermarket shiftknob like a momo or something that doesnt need threads to be held on. i like it a lot, but i still want a real STS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts