Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a huge ass street tonight(3 or 4 lanes i think)at a stop light. there were cars beside me and this one loud camry behind me(it wasnt the music that was loud). As soon as I hit the gas the camry started tail gating me and passed me. well first i thought it wasn't worth it so i just maintained 60mph at 55mph zone, and so did he. When we got to this turning lane(2 lanes) he stayed at the left lane and I went directly to the right. It was on. Funny thing is he had his crappy music up and started bobbin his head like he needed to go take a shit REALLY bad. WTF??? I looked over at him and started movin up lil by lil,and so was he. I looked at him the whole time but he never looked back at me. As the green light got near, he started to pull up more, i knew he wanted to race even though he didnt look back at me and nod or something. All of the sudden as the light turned green his engine just reved up real high, as if he had either a loud ass intake or NOS. Anyway i was on the outer turning lane, so i had to kinda go slowly around the turn, but then as soon as i hit the straight away, I turned the IAT on(i have atx) and floored it. He was ahead of me about 1 car length on the inner lane since he jumped first. As I hit about 35mph i gained on him real quick and we were side by side. when I hit 50mph his ass was about 3-4 car lengths behind me. At 60mph I was just gone(probably about 6-7 car lengths). I passed him as if he was doing like 10mph slower than me. of course when i shut down at 65mph at 45mph zone, he did the punkass fly by. it was an easy kill but the guy didnt know what he was up against even though he probably had some lil mods. The camry was an early to mid 90's w/ some type of mod, most likely intake, header, and exhaust IF they make one for a camry??? dont know, but anyways he did have some mod by the way he jumped and the sound of his engine.

94 MX6 LS atx
NGK Plugs and Wires, K&N filtercharger, IAT mod, Racing Design Muffler.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IAT mod makes your tranny shift quicker. u can tell a difference when its done. The best time i've heard with that mod is .5 sec gain in 1/4 mile.
Below is the instrutction i got from some other guy. Make sure u know where the rubber grommet is(it is an oval shape and its on the mid right side of your firewall facing the front of your car. Good Luck~!
How to do the IAT mod

Installation:

The first and most important step to doing this is to cut the IAT wire. There are five wires on the plug that goes into your VAF (thing behind stock airbox). The one closest to the front of the car is the one you want to cut, this is the ground for the IAT. Make sure there's enough room on either side of where you cut the wire so that you can strip it and tap another wire into it... also try to make sure that you can reconnect everything in case something goes wrong. Pictures 1 and 2 show the location of this wire, in pic 2 my fingers are touching where the original wire was cut and the new wires spliced in. Cut the wire and strip back about a 1/4 inch or so on both sides of where you cut. Now get two new wires about 5 feet in length each, or whatever length you'll need to go from the VAF to where you mount the switch for this in the interior. Strip both ends of both of these wires (they're black in the pics i took), and attach one end of each to the exposed wires where you cut the IAT. At this point, connecting the exposed ends of the new wires should close the circuit and make your IAT functional again, this is in effect what the switch will do. Now you have to run these new wires through the firewall (see pic 3, yellow square is where the wires go through). There is a fairly large rubber grommet there from the factory you can use, alot of people put the power wires from their amplifiers through here as well. http://www.comcat.com/~rage/probe/firewall.jpg has another pic of this location. I put some black wire loom around the two wires so it wouldnt look so shitty in the engine bay, since everyone knows that engine aesthetics are a key to performance! Run the two wires through your interior however you want to hide them until they get to where you're going to mount the switch. Now just let them chill there for a minute, and go back and electrical tape or solder all the bare wire in your engine bay if you havent already. For mounting the switch in my slushbox, I just popped that black plastic piece out next to the shifter.. then I made a hold in it and sanded it out using this crazy grinder thing until there was a circle that the switch would sit in perfectly. (dont make it too big! snug = good). Connect the wires to the back of the switch, directions for that vary by what type of switch you're using (Pic 6). A simple open/close circuit switch will only have two connectors on the back though. You *should* solder these too, but its isnt necessary. Once your wires are connected to the switch and the switch is installed wherever you're putting it, you're ready to test it out. Turn the car on, the check engine light should be off and everything should be working normally. Make sure the switch is in the closed position so that the IAT is functioning as it normally would.. this mod is actually only in effect when the switch is open. After driving for a mile or so to let the intake temperature get up to normal (the CEL wont come on when its cold), find a red light or stop sign somewhere, preferably one where you can accelerate quickly from. Flip the switch now, and your check engine light should come on... this is normal. It's just the ECU telling you that the IAT isnt workin.... well duh! Thanks Mr ECU. Some people say that having the IAT disconnected while accelerating bogs their car down, i havent noticed this at all though. You can either leave it off from the launch of flip the switch off once the car gets up around 4k rpms or so. Either way, floor your car or accelerate heavily, and make sure the switch is off and the CEL is on when the car shifts. You'll immediately notice the difference, trust me! No more mr fuel cutoff, no more luxury shifting, no more horrible noise when the car shifts. Just hold on to the wheel tightly, and dont use this trick more than you have to. Enjoy your faster car!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, that was a really long way to say the following basically...

cut your IAT wire and run some new wire off it to a switch so you can turn it on or off.

Tools required:

Well here they are.. the tools. Some wire loom, a snapple (VERY IMPORTANT),

wire cutters/strippers, scissors, 50 ft of 16 guage wire, my fuse box cover (?),

some electrical tape, and a rocker switch of some sort.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments: Wow. That was all I could think the first time I felt that new improved

1-2 shift.. the 2-3 and 3-4 get gradually less noticeable, but they're still firmer

and quicker. But the 1-2.. tires break loose and your head snaps back. The

Suggestions: Dont do this all over town, keep it for races. The switch looks

cool too, and its nice to know that more performance is just a simple switch

away! Make sure your connections are good with all the wires you spliced,

because if something comes loose your IAT will always be disconnected

·
Registered
43 Posts
do they make it for the first gen.????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts