Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions in regards to weather and mods to our cars...
1) Anyone out there have a body kit in a snowy city? I live in Calgary, Canada and was wondering what happens in the snow, do you push through? How much snow does it take before you have to worry?
2) Similar to above, when do you have to worry when you have lowered your car?
3) How dangerous is it to have a cold air intake in snowy areas? Is it a concern?
4) What keeps stuff (ie. snow, water/rain, leaves, trash) from getting into the vents on a custom hood? What happens if and when this does happen.

Any help on any of these would be great. I have ideas of the answers of course but I wanted to know what other experiences were. The other thing I was wondering was what do you do to remedy any of the problems if its already occured? (ie. snow in your air intake?)
Thanks all, cya.
Michael.
'93 LS
Calgary, Canada

·
Registered
763 Posts
Claeren said:
1) Anyone out there have a body kit in a snowy city? I live in Calgary, Canada and was wondering what happens in the snow, do you push through? How much snow does it take before you have to worry?

canada... im from toronto too.. umm i dont think we get as much snow as you do... actually there's someone from at my work from calgary.. we always bash him cause he always comes to work with his flames jersey on..

anyways, i dont have a kit but i see tons of cars driving here pushing snow around with their kits.. im considering getting one too.. but my car already scrapes the ground as it is..

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey..

You get more snow then we do. We get maybe 1 or 2 dumps a year of MAX 6inch. I'm worried about stuff like ruts and ice chunks and plowed up snow.
Claeren.
-------------------
Canadian '93LS

PS - Their is nothing wrong with rooting for the hometown team! Go Flames! =)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Claeren said:
2) Similar to above, when do you have to worry when you have lowered your car?
3) How dangerous is it to have a cold air intake in snowy areas? Is it a concern?
4) What keeps stuff (ie. snow, water/rain, leaves, trash) from getting into the vents on a custom hood? What happens if and when this does happen.
1 and 2: I have a kit and my car is lowered... check my sig. My car is almost 2-3" off the ground. So far I haven't driven it in DEEP snow but then again I wouldn't even try it. If you look at my kit, you'll see that if I try to go over anything over 3", my car will act like a snow plow and it will make it near impossible to drive.

3: Depends what kind of cld air. If you have a Hotshot intake, then most likely it will get stuffed with snow and get wet and will constrict the air going in. What I do in the winter is remove teh Hotshot intake and just keep the regular cone filter in place.

4: Never had a custom hood. Some of them are non working. meaning that the hood scoop is there but there is really not a hole on it. As for the hoods that DO have a working hood scoop, I'm assuming they have some sort of ducting that will drive the water away from any vital engine part.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
763 Posts
JPMX6GT said:
1 and 2: I have a kit and my car is lowered... check my sig. My car is almost 2-3" off the ground. So far I haven't driven it in DEEP snow but then again I wouldn't even try it. If you look at my kit, you'll see that if I try to go over anything over 3", my car will act like a snow plow and it will make it near impossible to drive.

[/B]
man your ride definately looks Hyyype!

I am really considering pickin up one of those kits, but they're pretty damn expensive when you're only working part time for almost minimum wage..

anyhow, it would be pretty hard to drive in the winter wouldn't it.... but I still see lots of civics around my area pushing around snow with their shogun kits .. but I guess some people can afford to do anything

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yoyo

Hey man you should apply at your local hospital they always pay big bucks (union) and most people don't think of it unless they are like a nurse or something. Bu tthe amount of support staff needed is huge...
just a thought,
cya,
Claeren.
---------------
Calgary '93LS

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re: yoyo

Claeren said:
Hey man you should apply at your local hospital they always pay big bucks (union) and most people don't think of it unless they are like a nurse or something. Bu tthe amount of support staff needed is huge...
just a thought,
cya,
Claeren.
---------------
Calgary '93LS
why you work at a hospital? what kind of work would you be doing there? I heard a friend of a friend works at a hospital and makes like 13 bucks or something like that... you probably need some sort of experience or something wouldn't you?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Its not like you make a huge amount of money, but if your young and need something that pays more then min. wage like you said you made close to, its a pretty good job. I make 17 base/hr. and then I get premiums for weekends and evenings. doing telecom. You can get jobs doing anything from housekeeping and foodservice to admitting and switchboard, I like it and its great while im in school, in fact if I wasn't in university I would seriously consider working a job here for the long haul - retiring with a big pension after having made 20$/hr for doing next to nothing all day (I am at work right now =P) is pretty cool.
Cya.
Claeren.

·
Registered
763 Posts
hahaha thats funny you go on the internet when you're working at the hospital when you're supposed to be saving peopole's life..

and you're on the internet on the mx6 chat board... thats bad ass :)

hmm there's a hospital right by my house too.. like down the street... you have any idea where i would goto apply?

it must be a really shit job though eh?

i was thinking of applying for a aftermarket store in a mall near my house actually... but $17 bucks an hour sounds amazing to me.... thats double what i make right now...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello...

First of all its not like Im a doctor, I help people with problems - staff, visiters, patients, whatever. If there are no problems then I have nothing to do but waste my time on here. (Like right now) But on the other hand it is pretty hairy sometimes.
Second, I (Stress I) make that much, here, in Canada. I was thinking about it and I realized that down in the states your hospitals are privatly owned (In Canada we have universal healthcare and all Gov. Hospitals) so I don't know if your hospitals have the same sense of 'civic responsibility' to pay a living wage, you would have to look into it. I would think that if they are unionizeed they have to be half decent.
Lastly, you can find out what jobs there are, how much they pay, and how to apply, by contacting the Human Resources Dept., try calling the main number and then ask the hospital operator for it, or just go in and ask at the main desk.
Good luck.
Claeren.

·
Registered
763 Posts
hmm

interesting... I think I would have to definately do that, certainly beats the 9 loonies I make in an hour... damn ****ing shit job

oh well, I 'll say Im going to check it out but I'm the biggest loafter and Probably will be too lazy to go and find out.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts