Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked the car for finally today. Its now all mine :D The damage on the motor/ksport install wasn't to bad either. :)

When I was driving it home, halfway I was still smoking out the tailpipe. I disconnected the PCV and let it vent to atmosphere and it stopped smoking. I don't understand the difference between hooking it up to the CC and letting the CC vent and just venting it straight to atmosphere.... There should be no restriction. I still need to hook up the vac line to the CC and put in the new check valve to see if that makes a difference, if it doesn't I need to resolve why the CC is providing restriction to the venting process...

Also on the way home I hit your average dip in the road and bent my fender again. This time the paint cracked... I dont think rolling the fenders is going to solve the problem, I still think the fender would touch on the outside of the rubber. If I was to hit a pothole with my wheel turned it would still do damage. I am now NOT looking forward to putting fender flares on the front... :cry:

Also when I was backing up 90* the tire caught the side skirt and broke it off. I just have to cut more of the side skirt away so it doesn't rub.

ALSO, I put a nice groove on the inside of the front right tire before it was aligned. The tire was rubbing on the k-sport. Its still a drivable tire, I just done think I would take it to the track on a damaged sidewall tire :(

During the alignment they moved the setup so that I have a good 1/2" clearance now. But I still have to buy 1 new tire @ 150/per :cry:

Also painted the tails for the 1000000 time. I was going for the subtle FD look. I also have a can of testors red, was going to red then tint, but I thought that would be to much paint on the tails... I ended up doing the passenger side 3 times to get it to match perfectly.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wait, what? How did all of this happen in such a little amount of time?

·
Registered
789 Posts
The tails look so super sexy. How'd you get them like that?

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a heads up, boost + mx6 = endless problems.

Ive had so much misc crap go wrong.. it takes while to work out the bugs..

how does it run otherwise?
It runs GREAT as long as I can solve my PCV/oil issue I will be in good shape. Threw a new wideband sensor in there as well because my last on would peg lean out of the blue. I think it sat in the garage for to many years maybe?

The tails look so super sexy. How'd you get them like that?
Its spray tint, but I bought the testors instead of the niteshades. I think its quite a bit thinner. I could go lighter if I needed, but I wanted the dark as possible without getting pulled over so I think I was able to find the happy medium with 2 light coats of the testors transparent black.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, what? How did all of this happen in such a little amount of time?
What happened?

I had this smoking problem for at least 5 miles now (which is like 2 weeks for me :lol: ) And I also knew I had the fender/tire issue, I just didnt have time / wasnt able to find a fender roller in the little amount of time I have at home.

I got 30 miles on the new motor so far, Im going to change the oil tommorow and put a front plate on and take it for a long drive... I need to get this fucker broken in before winter so I can get it on the dyno before snow flies.... I wont be making it to the 1/4 before the end of the year. :(

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More pics also, Im short 1 lower o-ring, the lowers dont fit as tight as I would prefer, but I had 1 rail pressure tested to 80 PSI with now leaks so I think im pretty good to go. Also went to the local shop and they cant get any larger than 5/16 OD for an 1/8 ID o-ring.

Sad the injector upgrade has to wait until I get 1 o-ring on order.. :(

And yes, I do realize i have the 3 injectors backwards. :lol:

AND the messy workbench.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I thought about it for a bit and have no idea how your fender bent like that...
Dirt in the turbo inlet danger to teh mainfoldz!!!!!11oneone

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
If you roll your fender it will stop the tire from grabbing the lip and bending the fender like that. I would at least try it before adding fender flares. Anytime you plug those vacuum lines you will pressurize the crankcase causing the smoke. Do you have a catch can? That will help you out a bunch if you do not already have one. Love the way the car has turned out so far.:tup:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I love your car, its amazing.
x2

we are the knights of zoom zoom and we require a shurbbery... (edit) i mean more pics!!!!:jump:

lol i thought i was keepin the miles off my car by the less than 2k miles i drove this sumer... (still did 2 oil changes tho :D)

·
Registered
951 Posts
flashier rims would set it off,but understand thats not really what your going for. car looks great.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought about it for a bit and have no idea how your fender bent like that...
Dirt in the turbo inlet danger to teh mainfoldz!!!!!11oneone
its oil from the PCV issue. Throwing some mesh on there today to keep the chipmunks out :D

If you roll your fender it will stop the tire from grabbing the lip and bending the fender like that. I would at least try it before adding fender flares. Anytime you plug those vacuum lines you will pressurize the crankcase causing the smoke. Do you have a catch can? That will help you out a bunch if you do not already have one. Love the way the car has turned out so far.:tup:
Im definitely going to be rolling the fender, especially now that the paint is cracked on one side I can experiment and care-less :) I do realize it will stop it from grabbing the rubber like it is now, but I have been driving SLOW and only a few miles. What happens when Im going faster, and turning, and hit a pothole? I guess thats why those wheels will only be on for the strip.

It wasnt plugged though justin, I have both the front and the rear PCV's T'd together, then they go to the catch can, which the second port on the catch can was vented to atmosphere.

Thats why I dont understand can the catch can really be THAT restrictive and need vacuum to operate properly? Im about to find out because Im going to go throw that line on there right, now but what happens when the check valve closes in boost? Then its going to presurize the crank case again with the same problem.

King, how is yours setup? I know you have the same pretty much everything I got going on.

flashier rims would set it off,but understand thats not really what your going for. car looks great.
Im definatlly thinking of putting new fat tires on my old rims.. Running the DR's at the strip only, and just saying fuck the rear FD's (rears still rub even with the fender gap shown in pic 1 post 1)

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Have you checked the inside of the catch can to see if there is anything collecting inside of it?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
I had all the vents on the VC's plumbed direct to the catch can, and the other end of the hose off the can just venting for the longest time. with out problems.

all you really need to worry about (that can actually cause this) is the PCV valve on the front VC. If you hook that how it normally is (going to the IM) it will allow boost to pressurize your crank case. If you plug that port on the IM and leave the pvc detached.. (or even running to a catch can) it shouldnt make any difference, it just wont be serving its purpose..that is to suck out fumes from the crank case.

If your pcv is unhooked from vac, and all the vents on the VCs are going to a vented catch can.. and your getting oil blow by..you got other problems.
something else maybe pressurizing the case, when you just vent your pcv..its probaly leaking out that pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you checked the inside of the catch can to see if there is anything collecting inside of it?
I havent driven it far enough but I can see a good flow of fumes coming out the port that was vented to atm.

I had all the vents on the VC's plumbed direct to the catch can, and the other end of the hose off the can just venting for the longest time. with out problems.

all you really need to worry about (that can actually cause this) is the PCV valve on the front VC. If you hook that how it normally is (going to the IM) it will allow boost to pressurize your crank case. If you plug that port on the IM and leave the pvc detached.. (or even running to a catch can) it shouldnt make any difference, it just wont be serving its purpose..that is to suck out fumes from the crank case.

If your pcv is unhooked from vac, and all the vents on the VCs are going to a vented catch can.. and your getting oil blow by..you got other problems.
something else maybe pressurizing the case, when you just vent your pcv..its probaly leaking out that pressure.

I did not have any PCV hooked up to the manifold. I had them just hooked to the CC and then the CC was vented to atmosphere. I was blowing quite a bit of smoke out the tailpipe. I LITERALLY stopped halfway home in the middle of the road, unhooked the lines from the VC's and the smoking stopped immediately.

Regardless, I have the check valve and vacuum hooked up to the CC now, I just need to change the front tires so I can bring it for a spin and see the outcome.

One thing I just realized. I have that front port on the front VC capped. I was pretty sure that, and the front PCV hole were tied together internally on the VC. Maybe thats half of my problem. Hooking a line up to it now.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One other thing I should have noted was that I was not even boosting when I was getting the blow by. It had to have been pressurizing because there is a restriction in the CC, or because something to do with that front port I had capped.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts