Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this website that sells used engines. They have KLZE (yes, i know everybody knows about this one) , KFZE (never knew about this one) , and FSZE. Their prices seem reasonable. Does anybody know if those engines are worth the price? Oh, and they sell both 1st gen and 2nd engines and tranny. The first gens are pretty cheap even for the turbo.
http://www.cjee.com/index.html

·
Registered
59 Posts
The other two motors are for the other two engine types that can be found on the mx-6. The 4cyl 93-97, and the pre 93 turbocharged 4cyl. The first two letters indicate which motor it will swap with. The V6 is originally the KL-03 and if I'm not mistaken the 2nd gen 4cyl is the FS but don't quote me on that one.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
FS-ZE is the j-spec 4-banger (no this is not the engine i have). stock its the FSD (aka FS-03). the KL03 is aka the KLD and the 88-92 engines were coded F2. im not sure what the KFZE replaces but im sure a quick email to the seller will answer that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone know...

I know a lot of people have had experiences with the KLZE, but anyone know anything about the FS? I have a 4 now, and I'd like to do an easier swap. Or do you know if it's difficult to put the KL (V6) into my car which is now the FS (I4.) Please let me know!!

Thanks!!!!!

G

·
If you put the japan spec 4 cyl in your car you'd be about as fast as a KL 03 6 cyl (us guys). Also I think the KF is the 3.0L V6 found in the 929, though I'm not sure. I think anything with K in the beginning has 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
hed be faster (b/c of the lighter weight). and the protoge/MX-3/323 engines were coded B6E (the 1.6L SOHC), BPE (the 1.8L SOHC), BPD (1.8L DOHC), and K8D (the 1.8L V6 found in the MX-3). im not sure about the 929 (no info at all).

·
Registered
212 Posts
You know, if you don't want to spend so much money but still get the hp, you can also get the J-Spec cams and pistons from Corksport. If you have the stock V6 with 165hp and you add the J-Spec parts it raises your hp to 200!!! Also corksport has J-Spec engines at reasonable rates.
GirlRacer

·
Registered
488 Posts
The J-spec cams and pistons only won't get you to the 200 hp mark. The differences between the two engine are the cams, pistons,intake manifold and the heads have a different quench area. I've actually had both apart in front of me to compare at one point. Also the VRIS points are different sot he ECU has to be reprogrammed. While you can get a good gain from the cams and pistons, Corksport's price for them is more than some places charge for the whole KLZE engine. You can find them for $1100-1500 at a lot of enigne importers.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
yeah i paid $210 a cam and $380 for the set of pistons. thats for a 4-cyl. yours are like $540/set.

and greg have you seen the intake manifold for the 4-cyl? if so, what do you think?

·
Registered
291 Posts
hey jspec...

How much did the cams and pistons help? I hadn't really thought about going for the Jspec ones... I've been looking for some regular aftermarket ones...

·
Registered
166 Posts
there are two engines offered in the jspec MX6. these are the KL-ZE and the KF-ZE. everyone knows what the KL-ZE is. the KF-ZE is a 2.0L V6 making around 160hp. the FS-ZE is a higher tuned variant to the base 4banger we have here and is found in other mazda sedans.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Re: hey jspec...

pacoisbob said:
How much did the cams and pistons help? I hadn't really thought about going for the Jspec ones... I've been looking for some regular aftermarket ones...

i couldnt tell you because i did so many mods at the same time. like an extensively modified head...

·
Registered
261 Posts
JSPEC's

Ok the Engine Codes work like this:

1st gen 626, MX-6

FE3 - DOHC 2.0 (140hp & 170hp N/A)
F2 - Regular 2.2 N/A 12-Valve
F2T - Turbo'ed 2.2 12 Valve

2nd gen: 626, MX-6

KL-03 2.5 V6 lower compression, milder cams, smaller runners
KL-ZE 2.5 V6 high comp., robust cams, bigger runners
KF-ZE 2.0 V6 high comp., robust cams, runners similar to KL-03
K8 - 1.8 V6

FSD - regular 2.0
FS-ZE - 2.0 J-spec, high comp., etc etc (170hp +/-)

JE - 90 Degree 3.0 V6 from 929 & MPV

and the BPD? is the miata engine
B6 B6T BP01 BPT etc from older 323's & proteges

peace!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ah good, someone who knows for sure.
On a good note I may actually have a good line on J-spec engine straight out of Japan now. Courtesy of new family. Turns out my fiance's brother-in-law own's, well dad own's, but he's first son so he'll be getting it, a used car store which also does repares and is licensed to buy used and scrap cars. We'll be trying to set up importing J-spec engines to the US and other parts.
There's nothing definite yet as I've still got a marriage and birth of my kid to deal with, not to mention getting the proper business licenses and figuring out import duties and exchange rates, but hopefully in 6 months to a year I'll have it up and running.

·
Registered
33 Posts
KLZE engine for my 2.0 V6 626

Hi. I own a 1994 626 with KF engine (2 liter v6) and it
was locally assembled (I live in Malaysia). How can I tell
that this is not KF-ZE? If I change the engine to KLZE,
can I re-use the engine control unit from the KF?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Greg S said:
The J-spec cams and pistons only won't get you to the 200 hp mark. The differences between the two engine are the cams, pistons,intake manifold and the heads have a different quench area. I've actually had both apart in front of me to compare at one point. Also the VRIS points are different sot he ECU has to be reprogrammed. While you can get a good gain from the cams and pistons, Corksport's price for them is more than some places charge for the whole KLZE engine. You can find them for $1100-1500 at a lot of enigne importers.
Actualy, I have seen dynos of the stock ecu and the j spec back to back and the vris shift points were exact. i bought mine for $1400 from japan direct.

·
Registered
95 Posts
would it do anything to your car if you just put in the j-spec camshaft?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts