Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
suggestions on how to extract more power from the stock engine of a 1989 MX-6 turbo 4WS ? cheap and simple options are what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Cheapest mods you could do to get more power is turning up the boost. You could make your own or buy one from Dawes http://www.dawesdevices.com for $35. Another cheap mod is an open element air filter, $20- $30 depends where you buy it from. You could adjust your timing but only do it if you have a light gun.Changing your oil to Redline or Royal Purple will help some, $5 a quart. You should also performe a tune up: wires, plugs, distributer cap-rotor, to restore any lost power due to wear. These mods should give you plenty of power to have fun with, around 25-30 more horses, later.

[Edited by Importheadmp89 on 04-03-2001 at 06:19 AM]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Turning up the boost sounds like a plan, I'm a bit confused tho what tool do I need to turn up the boost and where is the adjuster at ?

·
Registered
666 Posts
On the factory boost control solenoid - I am no good at describing, but, it's got a red and black wire attached and bolts on the turbo - there is a nut, with a screw inside. Take the nut off, and turn the screw counter-clockwise a few turns. **-- ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A BOOST GUAGE!!!!--** If you blow up your engine don't come crying to me! Anyway, loosening that screw will allow you to make more boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts