Discussion Starter #1
thanx for all the replies on my previous post

I had my rear struts changed with plain Monore Struts

but ever since then my car has been very bouncy and the steering i messed too

·
Registered
405 Posts
Problems, Friggin Problems

your not the only one with problems. since i got my suspension changed it has been nothing but problems. it is really starting to piss me off.
first my strut bearings went bad, and instead of the guy changing them he said i would have to set up another appointment for him to change them. FU** that guy. plus he screwed my alignment up. doesnt track straight, took it back and he said that it wasnt his fault and wont fix it. and i cant get a second opinion b/c my car is lowered and no one will do an alignment on it.
second a cv joint went out. and it only had like ten thousand miles on it. i think i was due to my car being lowered, as weird as that sounds.
now, it feels like a tire is coming off. the weird thing about it is that it only does it at 65 mph. i first thought it was a wheel out of balance, but i can feel it in the pedal at all speeds. just really bad at 65. i think it may be a wheel bearing or the half shaft bearing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, must be really pissed off! Having your car lowered sounds more trouble than worth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I don't think the people you are dealing with know what they are doing. It's hard to find a good place to have alignments done. Most of the places employ a bunch of morons who don't understand the process at all, plus they just make sure the alignment is within the very wide factory specs (like anything between +1 and -1 degree camber is fine) so it's not that accurate.

What I did to find a good place is I found out which Dealership Service centers didn't have an alignment rack of their own, then I called them and asked where they sent their cars to be aligned. They all recommended the same place, I went there, and it was a good place which had been around a long time.

I don't know where you live so maybe this isn't possible for you - like maybe you live in a small town or something. I kinda do too (30,000 people) so I understand what it's like when mechanics are morons. Best bet is just to learn how to do everything that you can yourself.

Having the car lowered shouldn't do anything to the halfshaft. It's designed to work at any angle within it's travel.

The strut bearings probly should have been changed at the same time as the struts...I'm figuring that our right now.

If you haven't gotten an alignment done since lowering the car then that is normal for it to be out of whack. It needs to be aligned after it's had time to settle. You probably have a lot of toe-out on the front. They should align your car if even if it's been lowered. My camber didn't get messed up when I lowerd mine, only the toe. Take it to another place and don't tell them it's been lowered. As long as you aren't running Intrax (are you?) then they shouldn't be able to tell.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I lowered my car with H&R springs and I havent had any trouble yet. I retained the old strut bearings and just replaced the front strut mounts. I then waited 2 weeks and had the car aligned by a local shop that is very reputable. It works perfectly. Check your ball joints out, since they can get out of whack with old age and cause all sorts of problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts