Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 MX-6 LS Mystere MTX. It's motor light keeps coming on and off, usually on the highway. What does it mean and how can I fix it if at all possible? Thanks in advance.

Java®©

LeeAnn :)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
ahhh yes... the motor light thingy...LOL

thats the check engine light. everyone on this board refers to it as the CEL.

Check
Engine
Light

anyways... its probly your O2 sensors. but to be sure you should pull your malf codes. its pretty easy. for info on this, go to Mike 94PGTs page... www.golden.net/~trinity

Have fun

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine started doing that the same day I bought it... Only on the highway with the a/c on. I called the garage and they said that when they shampoo the engine, it screws the sensors... they said to reset the computer by disconecting the battery for a few seconds. It did the trick, the light never flashed again.
Try resetting your computer, if your light comes up again after that, you do have a problem with your engine... could be anything... go to mazda, they'll do a diagnostic... It's probably a sensor malfunctionning...
Hope It's nothing!;) good luck!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can reset the computer first and then see if the light comes back on first of all. As noted just disconnect the battery and depressing the brake for 20 seconds or so ensures a fresh start. If the light (CEL) flashes again, you can go to Mazda and for $80 or so they will tell you the code and what is malfuntioning or you can pull you own code w/ the paper clip method from the site mentioned earlier. Then you will know what you need fixed. I prefer the second method. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
He's got a '97. OBD-II. No paperclip trick for him. Its either a spendy trip to Mazda or an $80 (I think) diagnostic tool for him. I'd recommend the latter - saves money on future dianosis.

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's true, I guess I should have included if you have a 93-95 (OBD-I) you can use the paper clip method and 96-97 (OBD-II) you need a code reader or a visit to a mechanic who has one. If the reader is really $80 or so, its a no brainer to get the reader as that is about what they charge just to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
timmysjava said:
I have a 93 MX-6 LS Mystere MTX.

LeeAnn :)

Clearly SHE has a 93. you have OBD-I, go ahead with the paper clip trick.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
BOWDWN2MX6 said:
Oops. Looked at the sig. Thought we were talking 'bout the Probe.
yes well... you know how the sig is more important thatn the post...LOL

just kidding... i saw that too and i was thinkin... what the hell is goin on here. my best guess is she used to have a probe.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,
My indicator light has come on twice in a week. Each time it has only been for about 15-20 secs. Do you think it is even worth further investigating the problem (i.e. the paperclip method). Incredibly busy guy right now.
Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, sorry about the misconception re ownership of the cars. I own a probe and my husband Lorne owns the MX-6, hence the sig. We took the MX-6 back to the dealer, ran it on the Mazda scanner and ended up replacing the O2 sensor at no cost to us. The MX-6 runs like a dream and the CEL doesn't come on anymore. Thanks everyone for all the help with my post. You have been most gracious.

Java aka LeeAnn :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Altered the sig now.... hopefully you'll understand it.

Java®© aka LeeAnn ;)

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
xeon said:
mx6slave, you have a 4 cylinder model, which means you have the EEC-IV system, which is a little different than the V6 method. Follow this link to find out how to pull your codes.
http://dalidesign.com/hbook/eectest.html
actually, we still pull the codes the same way, just the codes mean different things...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xeon,

I do have a 6 cylinder. I have found out that somebody else just stoll my username :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts