Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well my friend has my old 91 DX and it's having an issue. When you drive it and let off the gas at 3000rpms or higher, you can feel something clunk repeatedly in the front passenger side area and it even will disrupt the steering of the car for a second. It doesn't seem to have the problem at lower rpms. He had problems with his front passenger side tire going bald before the others as well.

The tire shop he took it to thought it was a tie rod end. We replaced the tie rod end and the problem still persists. I'm thinking it might be a motor mount, but I really don't know of a good way to test the motor mounts without removing them. I've looked at the mount near the timing belt area and the rubber looks a bit deteriorated, but I'm just not sure. We jacked up the car and pulled on the tire and nothing seemed loose in the front passenger area. The inner tie rod seemed tight.

Do you guys think a bad motor mount could cause this clunking and steering "pull" when you let off the gas? Any ideas or anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
clunk affects steering

The mount could cause clunking, but also double check the upper strut mounting which may be worn. This would definitely have an adverse effect on the steering and tire wear.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
sounds like controll arms bushings if his alignment is going out. they will casue a clunk every time u take off brake, accelerat eand let go of the gas pedal. + it will effect your alignment. check on that, engine mounts have nothing with alignment. but again, it could be more than one bad mount on the car, but the alignment thing could be seperate.

·
Registered
291 Posts
well, i have had to face all these issues.

1. likely, the clunk w/tire wear as described is a failed right strut assembly part. begin by trying to bounce front up and down to see if any resistance if felt. good struts/shocks have resistance. compare to a car with new shock bounce.
if shock/strut is blown or useless, over time a tire will cup and wear excessively.
also if the spring seat is torn, clunk and erratic steering can occur. buying an alignment is useless. a new part is needed. have they been inspected or tested? jack car front, place jack stands, block rear wheels, look up thru springs at bottom of rubber spring seat. is it torn? start engine, turn steering wheel lock to lock slowly while watcher looks and listens to spring seat. i have not had the small strut bearing above it ever fail, but if so, it may grind.

2. tie rods and ends are tested by gripping front tires at 9 and 3 oclock and turning/shaking by hand. if play is noted, look for that play at the ball on tierod end or where tierod-and it's ball- screws to rack.

3. my control arm ball joint is tight, but my bushings are bad and 1 side of car clunks on potholes. do not see how this is rpm related.

4. my bad mounts were noticeable at idle-minimun rpm- never while moving. lift car; with prybar and watching w/ flashlight, force the engine to move at 2 undercar mounts-these fail first. they should not move a lot or be cracked. the other 2 mounts in engine compartment are less likely to cause vibration.

good luck

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
jamin said:

3. my control arm ball joint is tight, but my bushings are bad and 1 side of car clunks on potholes. do not see how this is rpm related.
well sir... if you ever took your foot off the gas when your car is at about 3000 RPM, you may notice that it really slows it down, now imagine lets say your bushing is gone, now when u are slowing down your control arm lets the wheel swing out a tad, you would definatley hear a clunk from the control arm hitting the screw and your steering would be affected as well.

but then if this was the case, most likely you would be hearing this ever time you press the brake pedal pretty hard as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts