Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question are the urethane motor mount inserts a quick fix solution to torn motor mounts that should just be kept on until you get the money to replace your mounts? or are they just as good as getting all new motor mounts all together? because my mounts are torn right now and i dont have that type of money to cough up just yet so i was wondering should i just get the inserts and then worry about the mounts later?

·
Registered
734 Posts
First of all, no double posty...

As for the engine mounts they should be replaced ASAP is they're worn. If not they'll put excess strain on certain parts causing them to fail prematurely. Nothing can beat new engine mounts, but people are coming up with ways to come close... The engine inserts will help alot in stopping wheel hop and your engine slabbing against the back wall. How long they last depends on your luck I guess. Some people I know have had them for quite some time, while others die in 6 months. As for me, I filled my engine mounts with Poly urethane from home depot and then let them cure. They're stiff and although there's a bit more engine vibration at idle, they've stopped my engine movement all together.

·
Registered
275 Posts
did the same, i had all four of the top mounts bad, i went to a junkyard and found four decent ones. i went to home depot and got the black tubes of polyurethane roofing sealant, then i filled all the holes in the mounts so that all the space between the rubber and metal was filled. i have used these for 8 months with all the mods including a ze and they have yet to fail. but the main reason i did this is there is no inserts for the atx mounts (as far as i know).

·
Registered
558 Posts
What about the driver's and passenger side mounts? What about filling them? I've got a torn mount too, and I'm getting the replacement filled ones from the bulk buy, but I still don't know what to do if it's one of the side mounts that's torn.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i filled all mine but the upper passenger side one.. much stiffere, mine were ripped open and had massive engine rock, going into 2nd it made a bang.. after the polyurthane filler, no more, car drives much smoother, but more shake at idle, but i think that is because i have a bouncy idle aswell

·
Registered
558 Posts
how hard is it to fill the side mounts? What all is involved in doing that, if I wanted to do that myself? Where are they?
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread...this is hopefully related enough.
~David~

·
Registered
679 Posts
Damian882 said:
how hard is it to fill the side mounts? What all is involved in doing that, if I wanted to do that myself? Where are they?
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread...this is hopefully related enough.
~David~
The company who made the front and rear mounts is planing to make solid urethane side moutnts as well. Eventually it will be a 5 mount set.

Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts