Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still in R&D here so correct me if I'm wrong. The only way to mount an intercooler is to remove the hood release support, mount the IC and then custom make a new support. Couldn't I just remove the support and use hood pins? That's what they're for right?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
yes, you could do that. but everyones setup is different. with the LS, we are building everything ourselves. my setup will be different than yours, mici's is different than mine, DrBrown's, again, different. just make it fit for you. good luck!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes, you can do that with no problem. mind you, the hood pins are just for "looks". If that rattles and somehow loosen's itself, you are in a heap of trouble. Most people have intercooler mounted without the "chopping" of the release support. I would highly recommend getting a nice cooler sized for your car so that you dont need to modify the release support. Most have done it like that, so can you:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tips on IC mounting, I thought hood pins were more functional than that. The IC I'm thinking of is one from a mitsubishi starion, they're relatively cheap and I've heard good things about them, anyone have any opinions on those? I just finished maximum boost, good book. I've been trying to find a set of pipes or plumbing for the LS but I cant find any. I have never welded or done anything to give me any ability to make my own plumbing. Tomorrow I'm going in to a fabrication shop to see what my options are for going turbo. Whether I have them do the whole thing, or what I would prefer, I get all the components and they install it and make custom plumbing for it. Solarslash, werent you considering making a kit for our cars? That would be awesome, then I wouldn't have to pay any labor fees.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yamaha too bad you live so far, I ride a gixxer 1k 03. The plumbing isn't that bad, I did'nt remove my hood release. you can order prebent pipe from jcwhitney and then join it togeather using silicon couplings or high temp hose like I did. ghetto but effective. And lots of hose clamps. And if you want too use the hood pins. there designed to hold hoods! I've never seen a hood come loose with these before. There are actual kits that are not just for looks. what do you think race cars use. Be your own individual turbocharged self! As soon as i can afford a new hood I'm going to Pins.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that's gotta be a fast bike, my street bike is actually a suzuki bandit 600 01. My name refers to my dirtbike an 03 yz250f, but street is a ton of fun too, awesome to be among the cars without being enclosed. Anyway, I looked for prebent pipes on jcwhitney and couldn't find anything. There's a guy on PT making a kit for probes, hoping to be finished before christmas, his name's neonman. Hopefully he'll get something made for the mx6 because I dont want to make my own pipes, I'd mess it up. Any suggestions on a good wastegate?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with the Tial 38mm with a TurboXS high performance manual boost controller, I've heard that both are good choices.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i removed everything between the radiator and the actuall bumper, and made custom brackets to mount it to the spots where the ac condenser is mounted, and then my hood is held on by four hood pins. this was the only way i could get it to fit due to its size, and i havent had any problems with the hood pins not holding.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
this is my intercooler. Its kinda big, and was a pain to mount but it fit good after some bumper mods. And I have all turbo XS stuff works well for me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You can pretty much do whatever pickles your tickle when it comes to the intercooler. Do you have an intercooler yet or not? If you want a suggestion get one with the inlet and outlet on both sides like the griffins they use on DSM's. That way you can find a way to go behind the turbo rather then right back over the turbine housing so you wont reheat the pipes after the IC again. Just my .02 but there are lots of ways to mount the ic. Some ppl made a flat metal bracket shapped like an L and padded it on the lip that supported the IC and just drilled a hole and ran a bolt into the bracket under the radiator frame section. That works pretty good :tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts