Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick one to the teccies...

Since I fitted my induction kit my car seems to do about 25 more mile to a tank of fuel, is this normal? (ie used to get 250 on the runs to work, have been consistant in getting 275ish since fitting)

I am a little worried as I have hear horror stories about cars running too lean and burning holes in the pistons, really don't want a new engine at the moment!!

Please put my mind at ease.

Thanks
Will

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mayb you put your foot down a little bit less :)

I must admit, when i had me old gearbox petrol consumption was higher than it is with this one!

Stu

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Will

What you have heard is true on TURBO cars not on NA cars :), because of the way a turbo works it generates a massive amount of heat in the cylinders, and the mixture if run to lean, you will and can end up with meltdown.

But your ok m8.

Andy

·
Registered
94 Posts
It could be more to do with the colder denser air with more moisture in that has helped. Dense cold air provides greater combustion than warm dry air.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I got the same when i fitted mine Will. I havent really got an explaination though unless the extra air help it burn more efficiently ? ( Not usualy the case though)

Ive got another tip though - I managed 340 out of a tank while waiting to got and collect me speeding judgment :rolleyes:

Regards

G

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
StuartMX6 said:
Mayb you put your foot down a little bit less :)
Stu
Don't forget, he's just added a CAI Stu - I doubt his foot is ever far off the floor these days :) :)
I know mine's not })

I think Digsy is probably closest - the weather's a lot colder now :(

Ken

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Stu is the nearest on this...

The engine is now working more efficiently, easier to take in air, and as it's cooler, it's more dense..... or in other words, has more oxygen in it..

So, the engine doesn't need to work as hard to move the car as before... and as such, you don't need to have the throttle open as much.

Downside.... you may be addicted to the increase in power, and wonderful sound... so you may be using your right foot a bit more than before... this will use more fuel..

John

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Einstein said:
Downside.... you may be addicted to the increase in power, and wonderful sound... so you may be using your right foot a bit more than before... this will use more fuel..
Yep - that's me :) :) :)

Ken

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
See Willr its simple you dont need to ask tech heads just come and see dumb old me :) :) ;)
Simple answers sometimes solve difficult problems :)

Stu

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, not so sure about putting the foot down less tho :D :D

Andy - thanks for putting my mind at ease, I had a feeling it was turbo cars from various stuff i've read, but not 100%, so thanks.

Ken / John - I do have trouble keeping the revs below 4k now, just like to hear that rrrrroooooaaaaarrrrrr :D :D Be even better when I eventualy get a new zorst!!

Will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts