Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had MS running since August with really no problems and now it's getting cold out here. When it is cold I am not getting a tach signal. Started a thread on MSEFI.com and MattCramer suggested tweaking the VR trim pots. I tried a little and it seemed to work once yesterday but today it wouldn't start. If I warm the board for 15-20 seconds with a hairdryer, it will start. This is only after a cold soak, overnight or just a few hours now that its in the teens and 20s.

Anyone have any thoughts??

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
ms has a kinda silly vr reading circuit. you can try adjusting the pots, upgrading the resistors to higher tolerence components, or just using a lm1815 circuit instead.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjusting the POTS hasen't really seemed to work. Suppose I could measure the resistance with them turned all the way CCW and replaced with regular resistors?

I'll also google that circuit if I have time today.

Or would switching to a 36-1 wheel perhaps be a solution? I have one laying around so it would just be a matter of affixing it to the crank pulley.

Thanks again Comp, U DA MAN.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
it could. usually something not working when cold like that is due to low spec components.

the 36-1 wheel probably wont help, but its a fun upgrade.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I rigged up a heating grid for a seat heater underneath the board, inside the case. Got a relay and a switch. I'll see howit works tonight/tomorrow. I think if i turn the heating grid on for 20-30 seconds I should be good to go. Got a buddy(electrical engineer) checking part #'s this week to see if maybe we should replace something.

·
Premium Member
5,011 Posts
atleast now you have an excuse for having a hair dryer in your car :tup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No. the hair dryer didn't work. My power inverter is not rated high enough to handle it. It can barely handle my laptop. I'm going bald and what hair I do have is 1/2 inch long. I wish I had beautiful hair...:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts