Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, about 9 months ago I had some major engine work done which resulted in the replacement of the Catalytic Converter. Anyway, the work was covered under my extended warranty plan and when I went to pick the car up the informed me that I needed a new muffler because one of the brackets was broken. Because of this the muffler is kinda loose--it hangs slightly lower than it should and it moves when I hit bumps and stuff. The mechanic said that I should have it replaced ASAP because it can put unnecessary strain on the exhaust pipe. Well, my question is this: Does the entire muffler need to be replaced because of this broken bracket at a cost of $440 (quoted by Mazda dealership) or can a new bracket be bought or welded onto the muffler for less?? The muffler has been this way since I bought it close to a year and a half ago and I've never had any problems. I've avoided replacing the muffler cause $440 is a lot of money that I can't afford to spend. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!!

G

·
Typical dealer ripoff....I freaking hate dealers with a passion!!!

So let me get this straight - the hanger on the muffler is broken off and the smurfhole tech wants to charge you $440 to replace the muffler? That's like saying "Sorry son, one of your engine mounts is broken....I reckon you'll need a new engine now for $5,000"....what idiocy...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just have a muffler shop weld you a new hanger and pop it in the rubber holder - the whole affair should set you back no more than $40........

Dealers should [email protected]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dan!

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I thought that the dealer was trying to rip me off...DEALERS SUCK!!

Guess I can see why he tried, get this:

I took my car to one dealership (thats where I held my service contract) and they fixed the problems as necessary and then told me i needed to goto the Mazda dealer to get the Catalyctic Converter and said that it would be covered under warranty. So, I take the car to the dealership and they tell me that the converter is running fine. Seems reasonable cause I drove it from the 1st dealer to the Mazda dealer and didn't have any problems. The Mazda dealer said that they can't fix anything that isn't broken. So I say, OK, and i go give my car a once over. The Converter was sitting like an inch maybe 2 above the ground. I go back inside and say: "What do you mean there's nothing wrong, the Converter is practically sitting on the ground!!" They say: "Oh, well then I guess we can replace that." No shit they're gonna replace it!! Well, when I got my car back, fixed and everything, I didn't have to pay anything cause I was told it would be covered under warranty. So they missed out on like $500+ by replacing the converter at no charge. Thats when they told me about the muffler thing. Typical dealer trying to milk every last penny out of me.

Well, thanks again for the reply. I knew something wasn't right, and thats why i never bothered taking it back to the dealership.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts