Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock muffler is dying and I want to replace it soon. I looked around for some replacements but they're expensive. I'm not planning to spend a lot of money right now so I was looking at these universal mufflers which are cheaper than replacement mufflers. Can anybody tell me why they're cheaper and what dimensions should I look at, for a 94 MX6 with MTX. And what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting these universal mufflers. (Its a stock exhaust)

thanx

·
Registered
483 Posts
universal mufflers have to be custom fit to the piping. It will require welding and other modifications. i recommend personally buying a direct fit.

·
Registered
579 Posts
actually, universal mufflers are quite simple to install. go to a muffler shop and they'll install it for less than $50. just be sure to get the right size.. :) stock exaust on the V6 is 2", so 2.5" is good.. I say go for an oval shaped one, so if you lower your car, it wont scrape. stainless steel, tip shape and size, all things to consider. i hear that Magnaflow is really good, and fairly cheap..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah, universal mufflers are cheaper, the only problem being
getting it to fit to the rest of the exhaust pipes and the welding and the tip. but its still cheaper comparing it to a direct fit with labour. I was looking at Raptor by Flowtech for $19.99 and there is another one by Dynomax Boss Turbo muffler which goes for $16.99. does anyone know more about these brands?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think I had that Boss turbo one on my '84 Rabbit.. It gave a little more power, and a little bit of sound from a 1.8 I4.. so when you said cheap, you meant CHEAP.. I was thinking like <$250..

·
Registered
579 Posts
Oh oh oh!! I know! Get a cherry bomb!! I had one of those, it was silver, on my MX-3 GS (V6), and it gave power and sounded really nice!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cherry bombs are a no, no. So has anyone tried Raptor or Boss turbo muffler's on their cars???. I want to get them but I'm just worried about the sound. I don't want them to sound like a civic.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I thought that our stock size was 2 1/4. Dats strange because when i added my exhaust the guy told me i already had 2 1/4 so i added 2 1/2. Why would there be upgraded piping on a stock muffler? Whats every one elses stock size piping?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts