Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I completely blew a Mach 1 with a 302 out of the water the other day. This guy works with me and he was talking smack to his friends almost every day. I didn't know if I could take him or not, (him 5.0L V8, me 2.5L V6) but in the end I realized that it was no challenge at all. He preceeded to not talk any more smack.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Good Job

I'm sorry to any Ford fans out there, but I have to say, the 302 sucks, but it should at least be a little competition for us.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Mach 1?

Are you talking the late 60s and early 70s Mach 1? If so, I think they were 351. Decent HP, around 230-240. If you talking the 302 (which I was not aware was called the Mach 1) of the 80s and 90s then the HP ranged from 205-225 stock.

Good kill in any case. The stock 302 do suck but there is a ton of off the shelf mods for that engine. They can become very fast.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
one one my boys has a 69 mach 1 and it is sweet, but see he has the 351 cleveland so it has more hp, with some engine work so dont get to cocky about that race man, but other wise good job, keep up the good work with your 6

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Mach 1s

Now I like Mach 1s, however, I don't like 302s.

That 351 is nothing to play around with though. You know, the 302 is a great motor. It is a very sturdy motor, with what I would call "fair" performance. It just takes so much to motivate it.

I had a 1970 Ford F100 with a 360 in it. 2 barrel carb, no modifications other than glass pack exhaust and 3.5" megaphones. That truck would fly, and sound good doing it. It was also an automatic.

By the way, I looked up the new Chevy Corvettes, with the Z06 package, it has 385hp and 385ft/lbs of torque. Pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
with the mustangs u hav eto look at what type of gears they have too, the 271 gears of the 350 or i think that is right and there are some more i think the 371 and 421 i might be wrong but if they have the rights gear in the 302 dont miss around people i know i budy has a 5.0 302 , but if he put a 9in rear end in that car with the 350 gears then that thing would pull hard well just my thoughts but i might be wrong about the number on the gears but owell

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, riceater6 is right about gearing. When I was in high school a guy had a 68 Mustang with a beefed up little 289-- not really a big deal with around 250-260 Gross HP, but he had a 4spd with a 4.11 ratio rear-end. It screamed from 0-60, but top speed was only about 90mph. The MX-6 5spd also just happens to have 4.11 gearing (final drive ratio). Hey, dorian, what year/style was the 302 Mach1 you blew away?? I know that the mid-to-late '70s Mustangs (aka MustangII) with 302 had 140HP Net, but this wasn't the HP for the Mach1. Anyway, good kill no matter WHAT year it was... :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Actually.. The Mazda has a 4.105 gear ratio.. (okay, close enough to 4.11)

:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
chevy rocks

whatever you guys think of the mustang early or later model, it really doesn't matter at all because everyone knows how much better the z28 truly is. even back in the 60's when the chevelle's and camaro's were embarrasing them. and now they came out with the cobra r, a very nice vehicle with massive power but where the heck is the radio or a/c?! it can almost keep up with the corvette. with 1.0 lateral g's. oh well, mustang can keep on trying. they will be making a competition model or a 5.4 supercharged model. that'll probably be around the end of the camaro and the beginning of the new chevy SSR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am the guy with the 69 Mach 1 Fastback. Stock GT's that year came with a 351 small block. I have the rare big block. It has 3.55 gears in it great for low end but running 70 is over 3000 on the tach. In 66 the 289 was the standard motor. Then in 67 or 68 the 302 was a rare option. 67 and 68 also where the hay days of the Shelby Mustang. In 69 the 351 small block was introduced and the biggest of all Mustang motor the 429 was dropped in the Mach 1 and Boss models for an option. The Super Cobra Jet was the greastest Mach 1 motors. Anyway the 351 Cleveland (big block) is quite nice. I never ran my old Mustang I never felt the need to I know what it is capable of.

·
Registered
61 Posts
chevy chevy chevy

chevy's had the nicest engies, the 409, the 454. i do like classic fords but we all have to agree that chevy rocked the muscle car world back then. the gto was considered the first in 66 (i'm not sure) and then chevy just mastered the skill. sorry mustang owners, wish you had a chevy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts